Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Times

Default Pumping Times

I first want to thank everyone, I've gotten so much advice from just looking at these posts, but now I need help. My daughter is 4months and I work full time, she finally seems to be on a schedule of 2 5.5 oz bottles a day while I'm at work from 7-4:30. I need to be full when I get off because I just started telling the day care not to feed her after 3:30. I can only seem to pump around 4 oz(sometimes more in the morning) per session every 3 hours. But now I don't seem to have time to pump every 3 hrs. Earliest I can pump is 8 and 2 would be the latest and when I don't wait the 3 hours I only get around 3 oz. When she nurses she usually only nurses from one side every 3 hours so I'm not sure why I don't pump alot. Should I only pump one side per session? Would increasing pumping two every 2 hrs at work help even thought she doesn't eat every 2 hrs? Would it screw me up on the weekends? I'm sure she's getting enough when she is nursing but I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up with the two bottles per day. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much in advance

Default Re: Pumping Times

I work about the same schedule and my son drinks about the same amount as your child. I pump every 2 hours at work and then I do not pump on weekends. It has not messed with my supply or any of that.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

Thanks, however I know that when I start pumping every two hours I'm not going to get alot, do you think the amount I pump will eventually increase if I stick to every two hours during work hours only? I am only able to pump 3 times a day at work, so that would be 9, 11, 1 and then I wouldn't nurse until 4:30

That's about when I pump and I also pump in the morning, after he has nursed and right before we leave for the sitter. It is in smaller incriments but it does add up to equal the right amount for what your LO will need. That's how it works out for me and it seems just about right. And when I get home my DS loves to nurse for a bit longer than usual and I figure he's just getting his fix from missing me all day.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

I pump every 3-3.5hours which amounts to 3 pumping sessions while I'm at work. Lu nurses far more than that on the weekend and I haven't had a supply issue for her or feel full more often while at work. I don't restrict when she can have a bottle before I get home because she always wants to nurse when I walk in the door, if only to reconnect.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mystic67 View Post
    Thanks, however I know that when I start pumping every two hours I'm not going to get alot, do you think the amount I pump will eventually increase if I stick to every two hours during work hours only? I am only able to pump 3 times a day at work, so that would be 9, 11, 1 and then I wouldn't nurse until 4:30
    Try added just a couple of minutes to your pumping time for each side. Your body will get the message that you need to produce more milk during those sessions. I just had to do that to increase my output a bit.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!