Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Screaming while "nursing"

Default Screaming while "nursing"

My son is 4 days old and sometimes when it is time for him to nurse he will start to latch take like two sucks and scream. We do this over and over for like 30 minutes to 2 hours. I thought maybe I had too much milk because that is a problem for me so I pumped and then tried to nurse. It didn't help I don't know if I need to pump more or if I'm not doing something right. I know we get it right sometimes because other times he will latch right on and actively nurse for 15 to 30 minutes without letting go. I'm pretty new to this, while this is my second I only got to nurse my first for 9 days before I became too sick to carry on. HELP! please?! I haven't been able to find a lactation consultant near me and the nearest LLL is almost an hour away.

thanks for any suggestions
    Lacey~

Default Re: Screaming while "nursing"

I had that problem too for about a week. When my milk finally came in, I found that I have a forceful letdown and my poor little baby could not keep up. He got so mad! As he grew, so did his mouth and his ability to control it better.
    There are a lot of reasons why that could be happening. It could be the latch and he is just not positioned right. I went from the cradle hold to the football hold and he seemed to do a lot better that way.

Good Luck! It does get better, I promise!

Hi there
    I'm sorry you're having some struggles! Congratulations on your new baby

Just a couple of questions:

--When do you nurse him? Do you wait until he cries to be fed? Crying is a late hunger cue (earlier cues are rooting, sucking on fists, rapid eye movement). Sometimes if they cry from hunger, they get frantic and frustrated and it can make latch on very difficult.

--Any bottles or pacifiers? Bottles especially can cause problems this early--they "let down" immediately, whereas baby has to suck a bit at the breast to stimulate a letdown.

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

the wonderful nurses at the hospital gave him a bottle with formula before i could nurse him, without telling me. and then they gave him one with water knowing we were having problems latching on. other than that no bottles but he does get a pacifier occasionally. we got one of the gentle flex ones they are supposed to be the best while breastfeeding he tends to use me as a paci if i don't use it. i think i have too much milk sometimes it comes up between his top lip and my breast while he is trying to nurse. he will nurse for an hour at a time on and off over and over. he really doesn't get a paci very often at all though.

Yay! for you and your new baby - breastfeeding is such a wonderful experience!!

Quote Originally Posted by Artillwife01
    the wonderful nurses at the hospital gave him a bottle with formula before i could nurse him, without telling me. and then they gave him one with water knowing we were having problems latching on.
    Don't you just love it!

I too am sorry youre having trouble ! I too had some issues that sound similar and it was an OALD issue for me.. maybe you could do some searches on OALD (overactive letdown - like the previous poster stated) to see if they seem to match up with your experience...Has your milk started to come in? Have you gone through the engorgement phase -if my memeory serves me most gals get engorged before the supply works itself out... might be trouble latching there too.. just some thoughts...

I'd normally post a few article/threads but I am on my way out the door - I will check up on ya later
    GL/HTH
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

okay - here's some links to get you started if you think OALD could be the issue... - good luck!!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...pOct95p71.html
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I have been reading the different articles and lots of posts the problem I am finding is that I don't know what people are talking about when the say they feel let down. I don't know that I have ever felt let down. I can express milk and I leak like crazy and I do feel full and sometimes pain from being so full. Am I supposed to feel a let down?

For the first 6 weeks, I really did not feel the letdown because they had that over-full feeling. Now, I know just before each let-down. It is different for every woman, but to me it is a warm tingly senssation, followed by a feeeling of relief (like when you have to go to the bathroom and finally make it...you sigh). I actually have 2-3 let-downs on each side during a nursing session!

The one thing that let me know I was having a let-down early on was the milk just started to spray out like a waterhose!

I actually have an OALD and my son spent weeks choking and screaming and pulling away. Now, he has learned to control it himself and his mouth is bigger and can handle it better. Still at 5 months, he gets choked up.