Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not interested in solids yet

Default Not interested in solids yet

Hi!

DD1 wasn't interested in solids until she was over a year old but her pedi was upset with me because I wasn't offering solids on a regular basis. I read it's just for fun the first year but he said she needed to eat cereal for the iron.

DD2 is now 6 1/2 mo and I started offering squash a few days ago only at dinner. She seems to be following her sister's steps cause she's not interested at all, she actually doesn't know what to do with the food in her mouth, it's pretty funny

I started her on veggies to get her used to eating something not too sweet but now I'm wondering if I should start offering cereal. I'm not a fan of solids I have to admit.

Do you think I should try again in a couple of weeks or should I keep trying?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Not interested in solids yet

I personally wouldn't start with cereal because it contains allergens like soy.
    Try bananas maybe. I think it is ok to keep offering every day, once a day, just don't stress about it! Like you said, it is for fun!
    As for the Iron, if pedi is worried about it, then she can do a blood draw and you can give a supplement if she is low.
    SAHM to Mary who has been since she was born on 06-08-2007.

Married to Jim since 07-30-2005

My babies both nursed until well after 6 mo. before they were much interested in solids. I think they started solids somewhere between 9-10 mo.

I agree with getting an iron test - my first had low iron, but only because he stopped nursing early and I put him on too much milk.

My other baby is totally fine with iron and she's NEVER had baby cereal, EVER.

Good luck!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I found an easy way to give DD practice chewing and swallowing w/o fuss or much mess was to give her banana slices while I drink my A.M. coffee
    Nursed for 18 months

Thanks all for the great advice!

Yesterday I tried zucchini and she liked it, not a lot but at least she didn't put a "yucky" expression LOL

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    I found an easy way to give DD practice chewing and swallowing w/o fuss or much mess was to give her banana slices while I drink my A.M. coffee
    Can I do that with a 6 mo? Cause that would keep her busy

Thanks!!

dr sears has some great info on his web site about iron....
    http://www.askdrsears.com/

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...trient&dbid=70

lots of foods are high in iron with out it being the added stuff that your body cann't absorb well
    there is a list of foods on that 2nd link

Yes you can give a banana to 6 m/o. That is when I started (almost to the day)... Banana is GREAT for us because it's so simple, no cooking, they're cheap, and not too sweet (well that is debatable). I just squeeze the outside so it breaks up into thirds so they are enlongated like french fry shape. It does keep her busy
    Nursed for 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    Yes you can give a banana to 6 m/o. That is when I started (almost to the day)... Banana is GREAT for us because it's so simple, no cooking, they're cheap, and not too sweet (well that is debatable). I just squeeze the outside so it breaks up into thirds so they are enlongated like french fry shape. It does keep her busy
    Does she actually eat it? My daughter likes to play with it, but just squeezes it as hard as she can through her fingers and then it's in her hair, on her clothes and all over - just when we need to leave for the baby sitter's house.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    My babies both nursed until well after 6 mo. before they were much interested in solids. I think they started solids somewhere between 9-10 mo.
    Same here! DD was 10 months when she took interest in solids. And she has never liked bananas one bit! OR sweet potatoes (she gets the latter from her dad). Her first solid that she really liked was avocado!! I started out giving her a puree of avocado and now she eats it cut up into tiny pieces. I always have to salt it a little for her, though, or she won't eat it. She likes her food with flavor, never bland.

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

No worries, mama - for the first year of life, your bm gives your baby all of the nutrition she needs (there was a story about this in the latest issue of New Beginnings). Eating solids during that time (after 6mo) is all about learning how to eat them - tastes, textures, etc. - and preparing for being older and "really" eating.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png