Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping, Daycare and Back to Work 9/2

Default Pumping, Daycare and Back to Work 9/2

Hello! I am going back to work the first of September (teacher) and my LO will be just turning 3 months at this time.

She will be in daycare, and I really don't know how much to bring for daycare with pumped milk. As of now, we are eating on demand and she probably eats between 8-12 times a day at minimum.

The daycare that we have chosen is great about using breastmilk, but I'm not sure how many bags to bring, how much to put in each bag, etc.

Also, since I teach HS, I only get one planning period in which to pump. I drop of LO at 6;45, have to be at work at 7:00, lunch/planning runs from 10:30-12:05, and kids leave at 2:15, and pick up LO at 2:45-3:00. What kind of schedule should I be looking at for pumping at work?? Unfortunately, my schedule is NOT flexible...

Default Re: Pumping, Daycare and Back to Work 9/2

have you talked with your local leader? She could help with your return to work!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

pump at work when you can!
    You might find you have to add a session while your at home.

heres a link about reverse cycling.

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/reversecycling.htm

you'll probably be ok with just 2 pumping sessions at work, i only pump twice and i'm gone from 8am to 5:30. just maximize your output from those sessions as best as you can - make sure your hydrated & relaxed, use massaging and compressions to really drain those breasts well. as for bottles, what i did was start by leaving four 3-3.5 oz bottles. that ended up being too many, so now i leave 3 with some "emergency milk" in case DS drains everything. i wouldn't put more than 3.5- 4 oz in a bottle, it's easier to overfeed a breastfed infant, and you want your LO to take the most from you anyway! i've been back at work for 2 months now and things are going really well. GL!
    Love my baby boy born 3/5/2009
    Earn gift cards and prizes with Swagbucks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*goldiecar View Post

Also, since I teach HS, I only get one planning period in which to pump. I drop of LO at 6;45, have to be at work at 7:00, lunch/planning runs from 10:30-12:05, and kids leave at 2:15, and pick up LO at 2:45-3:00. What kind of schedule should I be looking at for pumping at work?? Unfortunately, my schedule is NOT flexible...
    I think you could either pump in the morning on the way to work and then in the middle of your break, or pump at the beginning of your break and then again at the end of your break. I have a similar schedule, except that I work until 5, so I pump at 7:30 when I get to work, again at 11:30 and then 3:00.

You need to leave 1 to 1.5 ounces of breast milk per hour you will be away, so 8 to 12 in your case.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months