Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF enough?

Question BF enough?

Ok my LO is 6 1/2 months old and we started solids about a month ago and my LO loves food. She eats 3 meals a day. I usuallly breastfeed her 5-6 times a day, but she is only at the breast for 3-5 min per breast. she has always been a quick nurser unsually not taking more than 10-15 min per feeding, but now im worried she isnt getting enough breastmilk. Her wet and poop diapers r good. i dont give her any water or juice in a cup so breastmilk is the only liquid she is getting. ok here is her daily schedule:

8am-wake up and BF for 10 min (5 on each side) -always very hungery and feeds great!
    9am-breakfast fruit and/or cereal
    11am-BF for about 8 min (4 on each side)
    2pm-BF for about 6 min (3 on each side)
    3pm-late lunch usually veggies and or fruit
    5 pm- Bf (5-7 min total)
    6pm-dinner usually whatever we r eating rice, fruit, veggie, ect.
    8pm-BF(8-10 min)about 4-5 min each side
    *sleeps through the night.

Ok what do u guys think? is she BF enough? she is not at the breast very long at all! Oh ya and shes about 50 perct. for weight and height. And she does seem happy after she breastfeeds. Ok sorry so long...thanks!

Default Re: BF enough?

Babies get pretty efficient as they got older. That being said, at six months I only fed solids once a day and have just bumped up to twice a day. It's more about exploring new flavors than actual nutrition. At one year 25% of nutrition should come from solids and your DD is far from there.

I suggest dropping frequency of solids and amount given, and nurse immediately before offering solids. Feeding a lot of solids leads to premature weaning.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Babies get pretty efficient as they got older. That being said, at six months I only fed solids once a day and have just bumped up to twice a day. It's more about exploring new flavors than actual nutrition. At one year 25% of nutrition should come from solids and your DD is far from there.

I suggest dropping frequency of solids and amount given, and nurse immediately before offering solids. Feeding a lot of solids leads to premature weaning.
    I agree. My 10 month old still only eats maybe 2 meals a day at most. I would make sure to nurse before solids.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Sounds like my DD at that age. She was so much more interested in looking around, and doing other stuff, so her BF's were really short compared to what she did before solids. She would probably only feed for 3-4 mins max, and usually only want one side. Would always offer the other, but she'd just show no interest.

I still offer BF before solids, with the exception of her evening feed at 5pm, then BF at 6:30pm before bed.
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooligator View Post
    Sounds like my DD at that age. She was so much more interested in looking around, and doing other stuff, so her BF's were really short compared to what she did before solids. She would probably only feed for 3-4 mins max, and usually only want one side. Would always offer the other, but she'd just show no interest.

I still offer BF before solids, with the exception of her evening feed at 5pm, then BF at 6:30pm before bed.
    I really think that is it! MY LO is just soo interested in playing that i have to go in another room with no noise to feed her and she still only feed for like 5-8 min. Ive tried feeding her solids right after i BF her and it seems like she eats the same. ive also tried just feeding her 2 times a day solids and she still doesnt BF long. so maybe i just have a baby that feeds quickly??? Anyone else have a LO that only eats for 5 min? She seems really happy after, so im guessing she is getting enough. =) Anyone else having this issue?

This sounds like my daughter. She used to be a slow and sleepy eater (taking 45-60 minutes!) when she was a newborn, then when she discovered the world around her at about 3.5 months, she started taking less and less time to breastfeed. She is super distracted and will only feed for about 3-5 good minutes total. She'll kind of go longer if keep her there, but it's a huge struggle. Maybe 2 or 3 times a day she's more relaxed and willing to keep at the breast for 20 minutes or so.

She does really like food, which makes it difficult for me to keep her at only one "meal" a day. I started with one meal a day, and the past few days have been giving her three "meals" a day. I give her solids about 30-45 minutes after breastfeeding. She eats so well that it makes me think she's hungry and that I don't have enough milk for her.

She's only at the 5th percentile for weight, which is another reason why I am tempted to give her more solids.

I wish I had more milk to give her when she was willing to nurse. It seems like she only has the patience to drink when the milk is flowing quickly, then wants to quit when it stops flowing.

I don't know what to do, either!