Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting solids and questions

Default Starting solids and questions

I started rice cereal about a week ago. We are giving our LO about 2 TBSP with 2 ounces of rice cereal. I seriously think she would eat more if I gave it to her but I don't want to run into constipation issues. I have a few questions though.
    Since I am using EBM with the cereal do I need to pump for that or can I just use some of my frozen supply?
    I only feed her solids once a day (dinner) when should we up that to more meals?
    When do I introduce other foods?
    Should her poops be changing to green? Today was the first day we had green poop so I am not sure if it is from the cereal or not...
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Default Re: Starting solids and questions

Since I am using EBM with the cereal do I need to pump for that or can I just use some of my frozen supply? Either. I have none frozen so when I need milk for food I just pump it as I walk around the kitchen.
    I only feed her solids once a day (dinner) when should we up that to more meals? It doesn't matter. At 9 months LO still doesn't care if she doesn't eat solids.
    When do I introduce other foods? I think this will help you especially the chart 1/3 way down
    Green poops can be a sign of too much foremilk and no hind milk.
    Nursed for 18 months

I seriously think she would eat more if I gave it to her but I don't want to run into constipation issues.
    Instead of starting with cereal, how about starting with veggies? They are much less likely to cause constipation, and there's no real reason to start with cereal except that it is enriched with vitamins and minerals- all of which are also available in other foods or via dropper.

Since I am using EBM with the cereal do I need to pump for that or can I just use some of my frozen supply?
    If you want to be absolutely sure that you will maintain your supply at the current level, you should pump. However, it sounds like you are using very small amounts of breastmilk, so I would not be concerned and would feel free to use your frozen stash.

I only feed her solids once a day (dinner) when should we up that to more meals?
    Whenever you want. Just remember that increased solids intake = decreased breastmilk intake. Since breastmilk is the perfect food, you want to maximize breastmilk intake. Nursing before offering solids will help ensure that your child gets maximum mama's milk.

When do I introduce other foods?
    I think a lot of people go slow, introducing one new food every few days/weeks, and watching for reactions. It's more important to go slow if you have a family history of allergic reactions.

Should her poops be changing to green?
    Color change when starting solids is normal, but generally poops turn browner (and smellier). One green poop is nothing to worry about- but if the trend continues you may want to change something.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the input...poops seem to be back to normal today. Guess it was just a change to the solids. I will keep to one meal per day for a while she just seems to be so happy and full when we eat the cereal! I have been making sure that she nurses before we eat the food so I guess I am right on track with that. I will try sweet potatoes tonight and see how we do. Should I mix that with some breastmilk too so that the flavor isn't overpowering to her or just let her try it?
    This is all so new to me. With my other 2 DDs I made the horrible mistake of giving in to everyone that told me to give them cereal in a bottle at about 6 weeks! Glad I'm waiting this time!
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Prob too late, but just my chime in... We used to do cereal, but after reading these forums, no more. We just do veggies/fruits once per day and sometimes we don't even do any at all, it just depends on what is going on and how the diapers look LOL! Zucchini made the worst diaper, we skipped the next day and went back to carrots ha ha. Oh, and no BM mixed in, just straight veggie or fruit.

Good luck!