Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Past 18 months: why?

Default Re: Past 18 months: why?

I never expected to be an extended breastfeeder! I nursed my dd for 4.5 months and weaned because i honestly thought that most people stopped before they went back to work!! I was TBH glad to wean and happy that i had fed her the 4.5 months. Obviously i have become a lot more eduacted on the matter and i aimed to get to age one with ds, but now i see no need to stop. We both enjoy it a lot. He eats a full and varied diet and has done since he was 9 months old, he has a bottle of cow's milk before bed and nurses throughout the day for comfort mainly. I don't feed at night as he sleeps through now, but if he is ill or teething i will. The plan for the future - i don't know?? Why stop now - its like when i hit the one year mark, there's nothing to say STOP!!! I figure we'll stop when it doesn't suit one or the other of us.

As for TTC, well my AF is just getting established PP at 15/16 months and we are now ttc. obviously we just had to wait for it to happen as i wasn't feeding at night and could do nothing other than wait!!

Default Re: Past 18 months: why?

just wanted to add my 2 cents...I have to agree with most of the pp. For both of mine nursing is a comfort object, they never took a pacifier (other than me) or a bottle. They both nursed to sleep and night nursed. I finally weaned Hannah when she was almost 3 because we were having a really hard time getting pregnant again. I just wasn't ovulating at all. And by then she was old enough for us to talk about why we were weaning and it went really smoothly. Of course ds will not be that easy, he is almost 2 and still nurses like an infant!