Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheerios??

Lightbulb Cheerios??

Hey! So... How young is too young for Cheerios? My DD is 6 1/2 months. I've been trying to kind of do what the "books" say as far as introducing bland foods and other things like that. However, whenever I move my fork to my mouth hers is open, so I end up bird-feeding her my food (but when her dad tries to do it I tell him that she can't eat that ). Today I went to the refridgerator to get her some fruit but there was none. So I had a choice of skipping snack (which she was NOT going to allow) or finding something else. I decided on Cheerios. After I committed to giving her Cheerios, weighing the allergy possibilities, I decided to get your opinions. What do you think? Was giving her Cheerios a bad move? Or is it just fine considering that she's eating table food anyway?

Default Re: Cheerios??

The only thing I would worry about Cheerios would be that I would think they would be a choking hazard if they can't chew them. But if she handles other table foods well I wouldn't think it would be a problem.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tmwmommy View Post
    The only thing I would worry about Cheerios would be that I would think they would be a choking hazard if they can't chew them. But if she handles other table foods well I wouldn't think it would be a problem.
    Is your baby mashing foods with their jaw? If so, I think Cheerios would probably be fine. My 11 month old DD eats them and she doesn't have any teeth yet, but mashes them with her gums.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Is your baby mashing foods with their jaw? If so, I think Cheerios would probably be fine. My 11 month old DD eats them and she doesn't have any teeth yet, but mashes them with her gums.

She waits until they are soft then mashes them with her gums. She mashes everything! She's so excited about new foods!!
    Last edited by @llli*dstmomee; July 27th, 2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: More info.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dstmomee View Post
    She waits until they are soft then mashes them with her gums.
    Maybe you could try a rice puff cereal first. They dissolve easier than Cheerios.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    She does but she doesn't seem to chew Cheerios very well yet. She tries one or two but isn't really into it.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Thumbs down Re: Cheerios??

...so I posted this RIGHT after I gave her Cheerios (actually during). It seems they didn't go over so well... or rather down so well. They seemed to come up one after another a few hours later. I'll wait a couple of weeks then try them again.

I waited until DD was closer to 9 or 10 months for Cheerios, when I was certain that she could chew very well. Now she's obsessed with them and screeches when she sees the box.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Have you tried her on oatmeal baby cereal yet? Is it possible that they came back up b/c she might be allergic to oats? My DD has an oat allergy and so regular Cheerios are out of the question and also those Gerber Puffs since they have oat in them. What I can give her is the Mulitgrain Cheerios, I pick out the yellow (corn) and dark brown (barley) ones for her to have and toss the others into a bowl for myself. Also, maybe you could soften the cereal a bit with some breastmilk or formula if she can't quite mash them up well enough yet.
    Carie

Wife to Jimmy 8/14/09

Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth born 8/12/08
    Birth weight: 9lbs 1oz 20"
    2 months: 12lbs 10oz 23 1/2"
    4 months: 16lbs 6oz 26"
    6 months: 19lbs 14oz 27 1/2"
    9 months: 23lbs 3oz 30 1/2"
    12 months: 26lbs 13oz 36"

We made it to a year and we're still going strong

Working &