Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Letting Daddy feed baby food?

Default Letting Daddy feed baby food?

We have an interesting situation as Daddy is in the military and gone for over a year. He will be home on leave just as the baby is around 4-5 months old. She is almost 8 weeks now. She sees him daily on webcam, and since he was home for a week for her birth she still associates certain things with him, like if someone holds her and is wearing his deoderant, or his worn shirt that she snuggles up to when she's super fussy. She lights up at the sound of his voice, or when she sees him online, and she doesn't with grandparents or even her big sister. The looks and coos he gets are the same ones I get and seem to be just for Mom and Dad.
    Since he is missing so much I thought it would be great to let him feed her baby food first, when he comes home for 2 weeks. Since she is so responsive to him online, and still associating smells with him do you think it will work or be too upsetting?

Default Re: Letting Daddy feed baby food?

I think 4-5 months is usually a bit young for food but it depends on the baby. Maybe if he wants to feed her it would be better to pump a bottle of milk for him to feed her if she'll take a bottle. My dd refused solids until around 9 months so I really don't know if feeding solids would work out well that young.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

I think it would be a great idea except for the fact that it's recommended to wait until 6 months before offering baby solids. Here's a great link with some info about why you should delay solids

Maybe you could make some breastmilk popsicles for daddy to feed baby?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tmwmommy View Post
    I think 4-5 months is usually a bit young for food but it depends on the baby. Maybe if he wants to feed her it would be better to pump a bottle of milk for him to feed her if she'll take a bottle. My dd refused solids until around 9 months so I really don't know if feeding solids would work out well that young.
    Unfortunately this little girl knows a fake when she sees one(boo hoo for the first boyfriend to give her fake jewelry!). Even the $13 Adiri bottle didnt work. Trust me, every single bottle from a wal-mart cheapie to that one has been purchased and tried, and every method of administering. I know the recommended time to start baby food is 4-6 months but in our home we start applesauce baby food mixed with breastmilk when Baby is ready and stick to that until 6 months.
    Our girls develop very quickly and with our first she started baby food even before that, as I did as a baby, and under the doctor's strict supervision simply because she was sick of just plain bottles (I let everyone else influence my breastfeeding attempts and didn't know where to turn for support so she was formula fed). This also allowed me to sneak breast milk to her, which I had been pumping and freezing for months but she preferred the thick formula over my milk. This time around getting the breast milk to the baby isn't a concern though.

there are all kinds of other things he can do for baby and your older kids besides feeding them.
    You guys will figure out what works best for you.

If you are ready to start solids, I think there's no reason why Daddy can't start the process. Since there's no nutritional need for solids that early, think of solids as a game, not a goal. If baby seems upset by the new "game", back off and definitely don't make Daddy responsible for getting baby to clean her plate- that way your baby won't associate her Daddy with something she finds unpleasant.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What about freezing some breastmilk just til it's slushy and spoon feeding it to her? Or just spoon feeding warm milk?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

It's not about a baby developing early, it's about the gut maturing and it simply isn't in a baby 4 months old's. Revisions have been made to solid food guidelines to account for newer research. But it seems you are set to give solids early and assuming your DD is receptive, I don't think there is a problem with a dad feeding his baby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    there are all kinds of other things he can do for baby and your older kids besides feeding them.

Good luck mama.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I think that the others are probably right. It is USUALLY a little young for solids. BUT

With that being said, my DS was VERY interested in solids around four months. He would swipe at my food and follow the spoon from my bowl to my mouth and reach out for it. Crazy, i know?

I started with rice cereal watered down with breastmilk. Like really watered down.. so it was pretty much breastmilk with a little bit of the cereal in it.

Does she seem ready? Does she have an interest in eating? Look for your food and watch you, grab for food, ect?
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!