Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foremilk/Hindmilk???

Default Foremilk/Hindmilk???

Is it ok to pump in between feedings, getting all the foremilk and most hindmilk then feeding your baby when they wake up you feed them and what they get is the hindmik? I want to keep up my supply when I'm at work and Iwas told that the foremilk was like them getting a drink of water. anyone know anything about this?
    thanks,
    -missie

Default Re: Foremilk/Hindmilk???

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, shouldn't the baby get both the foremilk and hindmilk when feeding? And if pumping before (to get the stash up for dh) takes the foremilk and hindmilk then doesn't the baby just get the hindmilk? Do they always need the foremilk. Sorry, just kind of confused after my friend mentioned this to me.

Foremilk is just as nutritious... it's NOT like water! Just because it's more transparent does not mean that baby needs it less that the hindmilk. The hindmilk has fat, that is, I think the main difference.
    If you pump BETWEEN feedings your body will produce what baby needs at the next feeding. If you pump RIGHT before feeding, then yeah... maybe baby will get only the hindmilk.

TO build up your stock in the freezer try pumping like an hour after feeding... or DURING the first AM feeding.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I didn't think that it was like "water". I usually do pump in the am when she is feeding on the other side. But that is only 1 feeding for her during the day when she is with dad. I guess that I'm paranoid that she will not have enough now that she is eatting more with him vs. what I'm pumping. I only get 3-4oz from one and 2-3 on the other when I pump and she is eatting anywheres from 4-6oz. I know that they eat more when they are fed from a bottle too. Just rambling here now. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Haley's mamma
    I guess what I'm trying to ask is, shouldn't the baby get both the foremilk and hindmilk when feeding? And if pumping before (to get the stash up for dh) takes the foremilk and hindmilk then doesn't the baby just get the hindmilk? Do they always need the foremilk. Sorry, just kind of confused after my friend mentioned this to me.
    yes, preferably, baby should get both foremilk and the hindmilk during a nursing session, but i don't think it's necessary to always get the foremilk. it's recommended to feed for as long as baby wants to on one side so as to ensure that baby gets a good amount of both foremilk and hindmilk.

i agree with the pp...to try and build a freezer stash, pump at least an hour after a feeding...or if baby only nurses on one side during a feeding, pump the other side.

hth!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Everytime someone replies, I come up with a whole bunch more to ask!!
    Ok here goes:

If I'm feeding her on one side and pumping the other, and she is now only eatting about 10-15 mins and is done, but the side that I'm pumping is not done (I know that I can get more if I sit for 30 mins) what do I with dd because she needs to be burped and then put down and then by the time I get back to pumping it's like it sucked right back up into my breast!! that I get a bit frustrated about. And its only about 1-2oz anyway ( I know thats better than nothing) Thanks, rambling again
    Missie

Quote Originally Posted by Haley's mamma
    Everytime someone replies, I come up with a whole bunch more to ask!!
    Ok here goes:

If I'm feeding her on one side and pumping the other, and she is now only eatting about 10-15 mins and is done, but the side that I'm pumping is not done (I know that I can get more if I sit for 30 mins) what do I with dd because she needs to be burped and then put down and then by the time I get back to pumping it's like it sucked right back up into my breast!! that I get a bit frustrated about. And its only about 1-2oz anyway ( I know thats better than nothing) Thanks, rambling again
    Missie
    some women have mastered the art of breastfeeding and pumping at the same time. i, for one, have never tried it because my dd is always pulling on something when she nurses (my bra strap, my shirt, etc). anyways, you might want to nurse her first on one side, then burp her and put her down. when you're done putting her down, then pump the other side. this way, you can sit there for as long as you want to pump (15-20 minutes...assuming your dd doesn't wake up). and when you're pumping, relax! take a deep breathe and think of your dd...being stressed out and frustrated may affect your let-down and milk supply.

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches