Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In need of encouragement...or something

Default In need of encouragement...or something

I'm struggling with this. I think I want to pump wean, but then I'm not sure. DD is 14 months and she drinks 2- 3 oz bottles 4x a week when I'm at work. I also come home at lunch and nurse then. When MIL watches her she drinks everything but they are @ my home w/ no distractions. When mom watches her her 3 yo cousin is there and they are very busy so she doesn't drink the milk a lot of times. I'm torn. I guess I'm attached to pumping for her and providing her with BM. My plan was this week just to stop giving bottles and still pump in case she wants it. Then, if she was happy I was going to try starting pumpweaning next week. I'm so confused I don't know what to do. Part of me feels guilty, but I think no one I can talk to understands. DD nurses frequently when we are together and we co-sleep. I don't want to stop nursing anytime soon. Please give me some words of encouragement. Thanks.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: In need of encouragement...or something

It sounds like she still needs the milk during the day. Why do you want to pump wean? You don't have to if you're not ready.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Now that you've posed the question...I don't know...Or at least I don't know if there is a GOOD enough reason. I guess I'm just tired of my mom saying that she didn't drink her bottle, all she wants to do with it is play with it and spill it all over the place. Usually she drinks it for my MIL but last week was giving her a hard time with it, wasn't very interested. Part of me feels that b/c she is 1 I don't have to do it or shouldn't anymore. Part of me wants to stop so I don't have to wash the pump and store the milk everynight/or put bottles together in the morning - I know it is selfish - and I feel bad. She does eat B-L-D and 2 snacks every day.

I did not leave a bottle for her this am and she was fine - I just told MIL to make sure she has water to drink with her snack. However, I am still pumping this week to see how it goes.
    Proud mom of 2:

If she is refusing the bottle altogether, I don't see anything wrong with cutting back on pumping! But it sounds like she will still take it sometimes. You can also ask them to give her ebm in a sippy if you want to. She is also old enough for whole cow's milk if you choose to give her that during the day and just nurse her when you are together. It sounds like she is eating well and if she nurses a fair amount when you are together, I think that is great and you have nothing to feel guilty or selfish about AT ALL.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Yes, she does still take it sometimes, I think that's why I'm uncertain of what to do. She doesn't care to drink milk from a sippie cup - she likes the bottle better. She does eat very well and nurses A LOT when we are together, she also still nurses at night. So I am certain that she will continue to have the milk she needs from me. I left milk at home just in case. Thanks again
    Proud mom of 2:

Thank you. I feel much better now since yesterday with no bottles went smoothly. She didn't miss them, and she drank more water than usual, so that was good. It's a relief. We'll see how the rest of the week goes! Then next week I will start to cut back on pumping...nervous!
    Proud mom of 2: