Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Real food instead of purees....

Default Re: Real food instead of purees....

Lol sorry I think I got your post and another post that I read mixed up, but still most of what I said was to you! lol.
    Still nursing strong since 1/11/09! ! Still sleeping in the family bed Expecting Baby #2 5-29-11!!!

Thanks girls! My LO loves food and loves that she is eating real food instead of the purees! Thanks for all the help...i feel much better now!

This is great to hear. I just posted a thread regarding this. I wasn't sure I liked the puree way and wante dto know if solids were OK. I do give her avacados, which she doesn't seem thrilled about, but I want her to like it so I give it to her here and there in hopes that she'll love them as much as I do. My husband and older daughter hate them and are very picky eaters! I aslo give LO apples in shape of fries or bigger, but stay by her side in case she bites some off as she has no teeth yet (7mos). We share nectarines, plums, cherries, and such. I need to have her on more veggies huh?

Blanca
    Proud mommy of a 12 year old tween
    and my little Christmas Eve bundle of energy

Update: New baby girl summer 2011!

OMG! I am so glad I am not alone in this world!!! My son decided lately that nursing was not for him. I am a little scared that he won't nurse as much as he was. He eats 3 meals and nurses 4 x day. I want him to try more textured food but he does not want it. When I buy the stage 4 foods by Earth's best, he won't eat it and will go on a hunger strike for a day. All he eats is stage 2 foods. I want him to get into "real" food but I am not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions???

Mother to wonderful 9.5 boy. Married to SJF for two three years.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stardustbaby09 View Post
    Ok my little girl is 6 1/2 months old and i stared solids at 5 1/2 months. she never really liked eating the purees. i have tried some puffs, cheese, real peaches cut up really small, and real banana cut up. she would rather have the real food. She is still nursing great around 5-6 times a day and i nurse her before she eats table food. so my ? is: is it ok if we skip over the baby purees and just go straite to table food?. (obviously not feeding her strawberrys, honey, eggs, shrimp...stuff she cant have until 1.) She seems kinda young to be having table foods, but she loves it and seems happier now. ???
    My DD started solids late...at 10 months...and has never had anything to do with purees or baby food. She has always HATED them!! I think she ate purees for a grand total of about 3 days before going to table food...and she is still taking solid table food by spells. Sometimes she wants them, sometimes she prefers mama's milk!!

So my answer is, yes, table food is perfectly OK so long as your baby is ready for it, and your baby usually knows when he or she is ready!!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

Hi!

My daughter (2nd child) never had any purees. She is almost two years now, and she loves to eat, and try new things. Vegetables, fruit, rice... all by spoon or fork.

You might want to check out the website of Gill Rapley. I can't find the link right now... She did a lot of research on this topic, and she concluded that around 6mnths children develop a good eye-hand coordination, the bowels are ready for solids, chewing and swallowing-coordination is ready for solids. She claims that the only reason most baby's started solids by eating purees, is that the introduction of complementary foods was to early in life, before a child was ready. A three or 4month old baby can't eat whole pieces of broccoli, a 6month old baby can. At first it's just trying and learning.

average (child-led weaning):
    6mnths: a child can start solids, bf remains the same amount
    9mnths: bf is still main-food, but the amount gets smaller.
    12mnts: 75% bf, 25% solids
    24months: 30% bf

English is not my forst language, so if anything's unclear I will gladly try to explain better.

I did find this: http://www.borstvoeding.nl/ip/upload...ths%20(EN).pdf

a powerpoint; I heard Gill Rapley speak at a bf-convention, she used this powerpoint.

We do BLS or baby-led weaning (as we call it here in England). It is fascinating to watch our lo play, experiment, like, dislike, feel the texture work out ways to munch on the food we offer her and learn to control it in her hand and manage it in her mouth.

I read Gill Rapley's book - 'baby-led weaning' and it really helped with alll my fears and anxieties regarding choking and what my daughter can eat - which is pretty much everything we eat now she is 6 months old as long as we keep the salt content low/nil and apart from the obvious - honey nuts etc

Our dd is simply in charge of how much she eats and what she needs to eat which is a follow on from how I have been breast feeding on demand and trusted her to be in control of how much milk and what type of feed she requires.

As long as I continue to bf in this way she gets all the nutrition she requires even if she doesn't eat much on a particular day and prefers to just play with the food and I can trust her to reduce the milk feeds as her solid intake increases and so she develops in her own way and in her own time.

I don't know why everyone does not choose to do it this way!! Its great and Gill Rapley cannot come recomended any higher for those just starting out.

lol xx

when some of you say that your LO eats whatever you do, does this mean they are eating foods cooked with other ingredients? My LO is now 8 months, but I haven't given her processed foods or anything with other ingredients or spices. I would like to add cinamon to some of her foods, so just curious.

Blanca

Also, some of you say you given them cheese... can they have diary products if they are not to have milk until after they are 1? My LO still doesn't have teeth so I guess I cannot give her certain foods like meats just yet or can I?

Blanca