Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working and storing my milk

Default Working and storing my milk

Hello ladies, quick question about working and storing pumped milk. I've been back at work for over 6 weeks, and during that time, I would pump and store my milk in freezer bags in the freezer of the refrigerator at work. Then I would go home and put those bags in the freezer. But I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't do that because the milk could thaw and then I'd have to throw it out. Should I not be putting my milk directly in the freezer at work??? I've already pumped out about 200 oz since I've been back at work and I'm afraid they've gone bad and I would hate to throw it out.

Baby used to take the bottle fine until 6 wks of age then he refuses the bottle but will breastfeed fine of course. I haven't noticed any huge issues with the milk that we've thawed out from the freezer, altho occasionally we get a bag that seems to have excess lipase.

So, should I be putting the bags in the refrigerator at work and then going home and putting them in the freezer??

Default Re: Working and storing my milk

I go refrigerator to refrigerator and I have a little thermal compartment on my pump for travel.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

I would stick it in the refrigerator at work, then in the freezer at your home if not going to use right away. Freshly expressed milk should be made cold before freezing.
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!

Any reason you are freezing it all? Will he take fresh from a bottle?
    Transferring it from freezer to freezer isn't going to harm it. HMBA ships frozen milk everywhere and it's fine. Your milk actually becomes MORE antibacterial when left out, true story!

A lot of moms will pump and use the fridge/fresh milk all week and then on Friday freeze that milk and on Monday use the oldest frozen you have so that you rotate your stash. Fresh is better if you can use it!

I have a small "cool bag" (ie an insulated food bag) with one of those blue freezer brick things in the bottom when I am out for the day away from LO. I pump and pop the bottle into the bag, ontop of the brick and it is perfectly chilled all day. I then put it in the fridge or (if there isn't any there) warm it up when I get home and it is fine. I picked mine up at a local ironmongers and 6 months down the line am having no problems transporting it or with the freshness of the milk.

I would prefer that tbh to putting it in a strange fridge as i am happy that the temperature is ok, and no one is going to go "ah milk......" if they are making tea on automatic pilot

I with pp that if you can just refrigerate it (or put it in a cooler bag) to get it home, it is better to give your baby fresh milk (fresh bm has the absolute most immunological properties). That being said, your frozen milk is fine, and I would cycle it with the fresh so as not to let it get too old. You don't have to freeze it before bringing it home, and the sudden temperature change will cause the milk to separate more than if you had chilled and then frozen it, but the main issue with freezing milk directly is adding fresh milk to frozen, which will thaw some of the frozen milk (not a good idea).

As always, if you are concerned about any of your milk, you can always do the sniff or taste test, but your frozen stash should be just fine.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

hi ladies,

thanks for the responses! i was just worried b/c if i stuck it in the freezer at work, the milk would not freeze all the way and then i'd bring it home and along the way i was afraid it would melt a little and then i'd come home and put it in the freezer, so i didnt know if it would be safe to do that. i think i'll just leave it in the fridge at work and then come home and freeze.

as far as giving baby fresh BM, i have such a huge stash in the freezer right now, i'd hate for it to go to waste! when i get home, i usually nurse the baby so i never personally give him the bottle. my MIL or my hubby will usually bottle feed the baby (which is another problem in and of itself). i could give baby freshly expressed BM from the day before and occasionally dip into the freezer stash i suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maicolin View Post
    hi ladies, as far as giving baby fresh BM, i have such a huge stash in the freezer right now, i'd hate for it to go to waste! when i get home, i usually nurse the baby so i never personally give him the bottle. my MIL or my hubby will usually bottle feed the baby (which is another problem in and of itself). i could give baby freshly expressed BM from the day before and occasionally dip into the freezer stash i suppose!
    It's good to rotate out the oldest stuff but I'm guessing that you've not been pumping for a year so none of it is even close to it's age limit!
    It's a huge stash now but take it from me (and others) that you'll probably find a time when your down to single digits with the oz. It ebbs and flows. Right now your making your rainy day stash, you'll use it!
    I'm talking about a stash under 100oz or so - if you've got more than that and can't use it all up don't throw it out, donate it!

yeah, i think the oldest that we have right now is from the middle of june. i have OALD, so i was making tons and tons of milk at work. it's gotten better now, but i definitely have over 100oz in the freezer!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maicolin View Post
    yeah, i think the oldest that we have right now is from the middle of june. i have OALD, so i was making tons and tons of milk at work. it's gotten better now, but i definitely have over 100oz in the freezer!
    That's a pretty good sized stash!! I'm guessing once you get the OALD under control or get sync'd up you'll decrease your output a little. If all else fails you can make some great soap or muffins or something out of that extra!