Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EPing and overfeeding

Default EPing and overfeeding

At 3 weeks old my LO (who was 5 weeks early) was guzzling down 4 oz of BM every 3 hours. He would then fuss and moan for 30 mins and end up puking a lot of it up. My pedi was thrilled he was eating so much b/c he was gaining great weight. My LC, however, told me that that was WAY too much, and its no wonder he wasnt BFing well. He's now 7 weeks, and I had reduced him to 3 oz every 3 or so hours. This has been pretty consistent for about a week. For the past 3 days, however, at around 8 am and 2 pm, he just never seems satisfied. I give him the 3 oz and he obviously wants more. I change him after the 3 to sorta let it settle. Then I give him one more oz. He still seems unsettled, but is not screaming. About 30 mins later, he starts to fuss and root, so I give him one more oz. He then falls asleep. Wakes up 30 mins later fussing and rooting, and I give him one more oz. He sleeps for 45 mins or so, still unsettled though, and by this time, its almost time for a full feeding again, and he eats 2-3 oz. I am terrified to overfeed him, but he seems to be okay with eating this much? I'm sure this is normal, and he's probably hit a growth spurt. If so, how long does it usually last for? My LC told me that rooting and fussing can also be a sign of reflux, esp if baby is overfed. I'm confused! How do you know if he's hungry or if he's overfed?!

Default Re: EPing and overfeeding

EP mum here too; personal experience of the past 20 weeks as follows:

My baby fusses and roots if he has trapped wind - even a little bit. Once that has passed he tends to settle. If he has too much wind that can on occasion induce a small vomit.

It can also be reflux but for him it is defintely more the gas which is irritating him. Also is there plenty of cream in the milk? The cream is the hindmilk which is full of nice satisfying fat. If there isn't much, in proportion to the foremilk, then your LO will not feel as full as he would with his "pudding".

As my LO has had reflux from day one all I can say is that it would strike me as odd that he has gone this long without then to suddenly develop it. Could be a growth spurt - they tend to last a few days and then even out, although my LO seems to take a bit more milk after each one.

I know this is pure guesswork but hope it helps - if you have any niggles I would suggest you contact your family doctor to be sure
    Last edited by @llli*watermaiden; July 25th, 2009 at 10:37 AM.

Default Re: EPing and overfeeding

Now that you mention it, it def seems like it could be a gas thing. I notice he "eats more" when other people than DH or myself feed him. As other typically lay him flat on his back and dont burp him as frequently. Maybe we should be burping him more often. It makes sense with the 8 am feeding, as I am exhausted by then and generally am not putting forth enough effort to get all of those burps out. This was very good advice! Thank you so much!
    PS - I def think hes getting the creamy milk...I have tons and tons of milk and my milk lets down before I even start to pump. Thanks again! Such a simple solution that I couldnt see because I was too involved!