Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need help please 9 months old and my supply is decreasing

Default I need help please 9 months old and my supply is decreasing

Hi all! Any advice is greatly appreciated. Here's my dilemma. My son is now 9 months old and my supply is dropping. My breasts are noticely decreasing in size and I'm pumping less amounts while at work. I work 12.5 hour shifts and try to pump 3 times per day. This is what I have done since returning at 3 months. It has worked out since then. If I ever noticed my supply going down I would just pump more on my days off after feedings to try and increase it. However, this is the first time that my breasts have started decreasing in size. He is taking solids very well and now crawling so of course he doesn't nurse very well anymore during the day. We are co-sleeping and he has always nursed thru out the night but I think that his night nursing may be slowing down as well. This is the only thing that I can think of that may be the cause of diminishing supply. My biggest concern is that I haven't given him any formula, and I'm doubting he would be willing to take it. I was already taking milk thistle and just added fenugreek along with my prenatal. On work days I get up dreamfeed him, then pump, get ready for work and then nurse him again before going to work. I also have always pumped morning and night since he was 5 weeks. I use a hospital grade pump for home and an ameda at work. I really want to stick it out til he's a year, so please help.

Default Re: I need help please 9 months old and my supply is decreasing

It definitely sounds like you might need to add in extra pumps. Could you pump during your commute?

Let us know if you are able to solve the supply problem.

Good Luck!

Default Re: I need help please 9 months old and my supply is decreasing

This happens to me every so often when I'm over tired or coming down with a cold. It may also be hormonal. What helps me is to eat oatmeal for breakfast every day. I only get 1-2 oz from each side, so a decrease is something that used to get me really worried, but now I just roll with it. At 9 months, he was eating babyfood and starting on water in the sippy cup. I also co-sleep and I figure he would make up the difference at night.
    Just passed the 1 year mark!