Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - need some advice about breastfeeding prem baby

Default Help - need some advice about breastfeeding prem baby

HI there, I have recently started BF my prem baby boy. He seems to suck well to begin with but then slows down. I'm not really sure how much milk he's getting. He always needs to be topped up after the BF. I'm just worried about him and need to know what I'm doing is right. We are still in hospital so sometimes when I go in he's tired and doesn't want to BF. We've came so far and I don't want to fail now. Advice needed...

Default Re: Help - need some advice about breastfeeding prem baby

Quote Originally Posted by mandybhari
    HI there, I have recently started BF my prem baby boy. He seems to suck well to begin with but then slows down. I'm not really sure how much milk he's getting. He always needs to be topped up after the BF. I'm just worried about him and need to know what I'm doing is right. We are still in hospital so sometimes when I go in he's tired and doesn't want to BF. We've came so far and I don't want to fail now. Advice needed...

Before you nurse him, have one of the NICU nurses weigh him (clean diaper) and after he is done nursing, before they give him anything else, weigh him again, that is the best way to see how much he is nursing off of you.

I didn't get to really BF my 32-weeker until we got him home at 36 weeks. The hospital did not really "walk the talk" when it came to BF support. I did get to try about once or twice a day as he got a little bigger and could suckle more, but it didn't really work for us in the hospital.

Once I got him home, though, it probably took us about 3 weeks - 3 very frustrating weeks! - to get off the bottle and onto the breast. At first, he probably needed to grow a little bit more before he was physically able to BF - he'd get very tired and fall asleep. Then I'd pump and wake him up to give him a bottle. But the thing that worked for us was trying to BF at every feeding until he finally got the hang of it AND had the stamina for it.

Good luck to you and hang in there - I know how difficult it can be! It was so worth it, though. He's now 17 weeks old and BFing is his favorite sport!

My 33 weeker needed bottle feeding for probably 9-10 weeks until he was strong enough to nurse for the whole feeding. As long as he's nursing for part of a feeding, you're doing fine. He'll get bigger and stronger and more wakeful as he grows.

I had to use a nipple shield for him to latch on for a few months, and "practiced" nursing directly 2-3 times a day. Then one day, he was able to just latch right on. And he didn't stop for 26 months!

Keep it up! You'll be home soon!