Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I start solids???

Default Should I start solids???

My LO is 5 mo old, and 8 weeks premature. She is doing everything age appropriate currently. Sitting with support, good head control, rolling etc. She had been sleeping through the night until about 3-4 weeks ago. Now she is waking several times a night, drinking 56oz, and sucking her hand bigtime! She is also eyeballing my food like she wants to dive into it! My question is, should I start solids? She always seems hungry... And if I do start, what should I start with? I was thinking avacado??? Any ideas???
    Missy
    Wife to wonderful Hubby
    Mommy to Abby Grace-former 32 week preemie 4lbs 4 oz
    We had a 4 week NICU stay, and came home with no monitors or meds!!!

Default Re: Should I start solids???

My son is 6 months old and was born 10 weeks early, so his adjusted age is 3 1/2 months. I have decided to wait to start solids - the 3 things I am looking for him to do before I start them are 1) no longer does the tongue thrust - where a baby's tongue pushes forward, so if you were to put something on the tongue, they would push it out of his mouth; 2) sits unsupported; and 3) is able to pick up smaller items on his own.

As far as what to start with, check out my post called "World Health Organizations recommendations for complementary foods."
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months