Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New pump question

Default New pump question

I just got a freestyle pump (was using a borrowed older pump in style), and I'm not getting anything out. My old pump didn't have the 2 phase let down thing; just manual adjustments for suction and speed, which I kept at the middle. With this new one, it seems like it's not as effective.

Does it take a while for my body to get used to it? It's annoying, because it feels like this is less powerful overall, and I paid a ton for it, and there is no way to return it.

Default Re: New pump question

You're absolutely right. There is not as much suction on the Freestyle as there is on the PIS.

For women with abundant milk supplies this may not be an issue, but the motor simply does not get the same pressure. I've heard that the reason the freestyle comes with "soft flanges" is because the tunnel is smaller, and the lowered suction is masked. If you switch to a larger flange size (as most women need), the suction will drop dramatically.

Frankly the "Two-phased cycling" is a total marketing ploy. None of the studies done on it have shown any increase in milk supply or faster let down.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such poor results; I would complain to the company.

I'm going to complain, but I think I'm stuck. Unless I can return it to Target and get an employee who isn't observant....

Man, this sucks.

Has anyone used it and actually had it work better? Is there hope?

I actually found that the Freestyle worked better for me than the PIS. I had to figure out exactly how to (for lack of a better term - sorry for the image) stuff my breasts into the shields and make sure that my nipples were centered - if they were even a little off center, the suction didn't work. But if everything was set up just right, it worked great. It didn't work as well when I just held the shields on; I had to clip them on for it to sit/fit right. (And I actually liked the 2-phase, also - fast to get the letdown going, then slower once the milk was flowing.)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I've just started pumping and I have to agree with the PP. It really takes some positioning to make sure that you're centered for it to work right. I had a hospital grade pump for a few weeks (the yellow machine of doom), and it didn't matter where your nipples were. With the freestyle, it does.

I have though noticed that I have to turn it higher than I thought I would...