Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaned too early -baby's still hungry-no milk???

Default weaned too early -baby's still hungry-no milk???

My second weaned naturally and my milk seems long gone.(I hardly had enough to begin with) Its been 2 weeks but for the last several nights she is waking up at like 1am and is satisfied with a bottle of milk. Im concerned with milk spoiling. I tryed to dreamfeed last night but I'm not convinced she got anything. I gave her a bottle and she went back to sleep. Will my milk come back? I tryed to bf tonight and just frustrated her. She tryed for several min and didn't get anything so I gave her a bottle. Any other suggestions. I'm not satified with this. By the way, my first was a totally different situation so this is uncharted territory for me. HELP

Hi I'm Melissa
    I love my babies!
    Abigail Born 2-28-07
    Courtney Born 7-23-08
    Madilyn Born 2-16-11
    DH is SUPERMAN

Excuse me -there goes my toddlers

Default Re: weaned too early -baby's still hungry-no milk???

Can you give us some more information - like how old your baby was when she weaned and how old she is now? How long were you trying to dream feed her? What was your nursing schedule day and night? And is she eating any food? If you can provide a little more for us, we can give some ideas!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

DD is 1 year and eating all meals my two 1/2 year old eats. Including snacks -some modifications. She is not nursing at all now and I don't think I have milk anymore -its been 2 weeks since the nursing ended. (With the exseption of the last 48 hours) I've tryed to nurse when she has been waking up in the middle of the night but she trys and trys and just starts to cry after a few min. Last night I offered her toast after she got upset and she didnt' want that either. I gave her milk in a cup and she was happy. But I am worried about milk spoiling in her crib and damaging her teeth. What do you do when they wake up b/c they are used to nursing and then can't go back to sleep w/o milk?

Hi I'm Melissa
    I love my babies!
    Abigail Born 2-28-07
    Courtney Born 7-23-08
    Madilyn Born 2-16-11
    DH is SUPERMAN

My first lo weaned between 10 mo. and a year b/c I got pregnant. We gave him goat's milk in a bottle and he started waking up at night, also. I let him have it mostly because I was working and wanted to get him right back to sleep. But also because I'm not a huge fan of the CIO method. This is what I did: i would heat up his milk a little (a pain, but I didn't have to worry about it spoiling) and then I would get him out of his crib, hold him on my lap until he was done with the bottle (would usually take him 10-15 minutes) and then put him back in without the bottle. When he transitioned to a sippy cup, around 15 mo. we would give him the milk in a sippy when he woke up (less tooth decay possible that way) and I think I would still sit with him until he was done and take the sippy away. Eventually, I think I just let him have the sippy in his crib because I knew that he was drinking it right away and it wouldn' t spoil. This was NOT my favorite thing to do...I wish we could have avoided it...but I think it worked ok in our case. I think he stopped waking up somewhere around 15-18 mo. Now he only drinks water out of his sippies - and he gets his calcium from yogurt and cheese. Sorry so long, but I hope that helps. I think it is perfectly fine to give your daughter a little milk in a cup during the night if she really needs it. It will be a pain for you to have to stay awake, but you'd be awake anyway if you were nursing. You can ask other moms what they think, but that's what I'd do.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Oh, and now he's a great sleeper. The waking up period eventually did end.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Went to the one year well baby today and my doc. told me to just give her a sippy with water and some tylonal b/c she thinks shes waking b/c of teething -Ididn't even think of that! I'll let you know but if you all have any other ideas please let me know!

Hi I'm Melissa
    I love my babies!
    Abigail Born 2-28-07
    Courtney Born 7-23-08
    Madilyn Born 2-16-11
    DH is SUPERMAN

What are you giving her instead of her nursing sessions during the day? In other words, does she already get milk throughout the day with her meals and snacks? If she's getting enough milk during the day, I'd agree with your ped.
    If not, I'd still say it's ok to give her a little milk at night. Of course, I'm not a doctor. and I also wanted to add that I think you are a great mom to make it nursing to a year! That's a big accomplishment!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months