Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: worried about painless breast lump

Default Re: worried about painless breast lump

mumtothomas, thank you so much for all this information, history, and support! If you don't mind my asking, how did your biopsy results turn out? I hope it all got resolved and that everything turned out okay ...

I have been very paranoid/superstitious as I await the biopsy, so please bear with me with my two crazy questions:

- My breast surgeon asked me to continue with plugged duct treatment until the FHA and biopsy. So I've been massaging the lump while immersed in hot water. Do you think I could be inadvertently "spreading" cancerous cells by massaging the lump or possibly burst the lump and cause it to metastasize?

- Could I be feeding my baby milk that is tainted with cancer? My greatest fear is that I might be feeding him something harmful since I still don't know what that lump is.

Thank you again so much for sharing your story and thank you in advance for any more advice you have to offer
    Mom to DS Pablo
    for 30 months and loving it!

The growth was benign (not cancerous). I have to go next month for follow-up mammogram just to make sure nothing has changed, and to check on what's believed to be a cyst in the other breast.

I don't think, but am not sure about this, that you would be spreading cancer cells; my understanding is that that happens generally through the bloodstream and lymphatic system--that might be a good question to ask the breast surgeon (and if you do, I'd love to know what s/he says--I never thought of that). I'm also not sure about whether there would be cancer cells present in your breast milk. I'm thinking that it would partly depend on what kind of cancer it was and where it was located (in the milk ducts, for example)--do you have an appointment for follow-up with the surgeon? I have an appointment with my oncologist next week and am going to try to remember to add these to my list of things to discuss with him.

I know it's scary, and I'm sending you lots of good thoughts.

I'm glad for you that the growth was benign, mumtothomas and thank you for your responses.

After reading your post, I asked my breast surgeon and a local IBCLC my questions about bfing and massaging while diagnosing a lump. Both said not to worry but were not specific about any medical or scientific knowledge. (They seemed to imply, you're not at that stage where you have to worry, so try to relax.) I'm sure your oncologist would be able to illuminate the subject better if you get a chance to ask (and no worries if not, I know time is precious)!

I wish you the best at your next doctor's appointment and hope all goes well.
    Mom to DS Pablo

I'm sorry you're going through this
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; July 27th, 2009 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    I'm sorry you're going through this
    Thank you for caring, Juliet I'm keeping my fingers crossed
    Mom to DS Pablo

I'm happy to report that the biopsy labs came back and I was told the lumps were "consistent with lactation changes" and "there was no cancer." so I'm very relieved, actually incredibly relieved.

According to the surgeon, she got a lot of milk out of that lump and afterwards, the structure collapsed a little, which I am told is good news for a lump. So her guess is that it's a plugged duct that didn't turn into mastitis or abscess, but it also didn't go away on its own but has stuck around for more than 8 weeks! It's still a bit of a mystery how it got that way and why.

The biopsy was pretty painless as mumtothomas said. I'm a wimp with needles so I found the anesthesia pokes to be a little jolt of pain. I also found it nerve-wracking to watch the surgeon try to break up the lump with her needle by poking, prodding, and "scrubbing" it the way you might scrub caked-on grease on a pan! (You can view the needle and progress on the ultrasound monitor).

Anyway, thank you all for your support and help, especially mumtothomas! Now I can do more light-hearted research on how to get this plugged duct lump to disappear ...
    Mom to DS Pablo

I also had a breast lump in my underarm. The doctor said it was an enlarged lymph node... it went away on its own after a few weeks. I also had a lump before I got pregnant the doctor did an ultrasound and it was nothing to worry about. He did tell me that if I became pregnant it may grow... it did the opposite... it disapeared! Good luck!