Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overactive letdown and pumping

Default overactive letdown and pumping

hi ladies, this is the first time posting here. i had a question i don't know if others have had this problem.

first time mommy to precious little boy who is 3 months now and about 13 lbs. he was 5 1/2 lbs at birth!

at first i was pumping every 2-3 hrs to increase my supply before goin back to work to make sure i had a good stash. then at about 8 wks, my letdown started becoming really strong to the point where baby was choking and gagging and pulling away from me. so then i tried to just nurse from one side at a time when i was at home with him and at night. so then while at work, i pump one breast at a time as well to simulate the baby breastfeeding.

baby still pulls away at the breast, and if i'm in the middle of a letdown, i will let the milk go into a washcloth, and baby seems to tolerate it okay. but now i've noticed when i pump at work, i'm only pumping 2oz-3oz from each side at a time. i'm worried my supply is startin to go down and i'm not making enough for the baby. should i go back to pumping both breasts at the same time and then when i breastfeed, continue feeding one breast at a time?

this is my first baby and first time breastfeeding/pumping so i appreciate any comments!

Default Re: overactive letdown and pumping

i also have OALD and only feed my baby on one side at home. however, i always pump on both sides at work. pumps aren't as efficient as babies, so in my mind it's easier to let down for the pump if both breasts are being stimulated at once. i typically get 6-9 oz in my first pumping session and 4-7 in my second, so 2-3oz from one breast isn't terrible at all.

my DS is now almost 5 months, and routinely pulls away while i'm spraying all over the place. he also still coughs and sputters sometimes, but i think he's gotten used to it and now will complain if the milk isn't coming fast enough! you're doing great, so just hang in there!
    Love my baby boy born 3/5/2009
    Earn gift cards and prizes with Swagbucks!

Default Re: overactive letdown and pumping

thanks for the response! i've gone back to double pumping while at work. i'm on a 24 hour shift right now, and i've actually been able to pump 26 oz so far, with one more pump session to go before i'm done for the day. i can get anywhere from 4-7 oz with each pump session! my spraying him all over has improved a little, but if i've gone a while in between feedings and i'm a little bit engorged, the spraying will take 10-15 seconds to go down, and i'll let it go into a washcloth. he doesn't fuss as much at the breast, but he will pull away periodically. overall i think it has gotten better i just didnt want my supply to go down!