Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding after reduction surgery

Default breastfeeding after reduction surgery

I am taking More Milk plus, using Medela SNS, pumping when possible and feeling a slave to feeding my 7 week old. Looking for support from any other mothers who have breastfed after reduction surgery...Also found that Reglan and Domperidone with previous children were not helpful for my mental health.
    Advice?

Default Re: breastfeeding after reduction surgery

Do you have a professional-grade scale? I rented one from my LC, and by weighing my baby before and after nursing, I was able to determine exactly how much she had eaten and use that information to decide whether or not I needed to supplement with formula/pumped milk.

I haven't had a breast reduction (though I've wanted one since age 15 or so!), so I can't offer much knowledge, but I just want to give you a big for working so hard to make BFing work.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the encouragement. I did pre and post weight feeds with my firstborn so I have a very good idea of my supply. It is not good. So, I continue to supplement heavily with the hope that a small amount of breast milk has big benefits. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have if you consider the reduction. After having 3 children and wishing I could only breastfeed, I don't recommend it. After children? Sure.

This is a really interesting topic to me. I just had my first child almost 3 months ago and during pregnancy and breastfeeding my boobs have ballooned! I'm only 5ft2in and overall pretty petite--except for this amount of weight on my chest Before I was pg I was a C, during pg I went to a D, now I'm at a DD and I HATE IT!!! They hurt my back, make my clothes fit funny, and I can't exercise the way I used to. They're too cumbersome and they make me feel really insecure.
    DH said I need to wait until we're done having kids to get a reduction, which I suppose he's right. He said not to bother spending the money if they're going to "re-grow" during another pregnancy.
    Anyway, I'd like to go down to a B or small C. My question is does it hurt a lot? (I would figure getting implants would hurt worse tho?) Is it really worth it? I'm scared of the procedure itself, but if would increase my quality of life without back pain and stuff, then it would seem worth it...right?

Jenn

Married to my best friend - Feb '07
    Mommy to Gavin - May '09
    Mommy to Adrian - Jan '12
    with a surprise baby April '13

Being a SAHM is not for the faint of heart!

8May09: 7lbs 1.9oz
    12Jan12: 7lbs 8oz

Really? That definitely gives me some hope!!

Jenn

Married to my best friend - Feb '07
    Mommy to Gavin - May '09
    Mommy to Adrian - Jan '12
    with a surprise baby April '13

Being a SAHM is not for the faint of heart!

8May09: 7lbs 1.9oz
    12Jan12: 7lbs 8oz

My reduction surgery took me from a DD to a C. I was happy for about a year and a half. Then I got pregnant. And went back to a DD. And stayed there. GRRR. I guess it really depends on the person.

As far as production goes, they have done research that indicates that the severed milk ducts to whatever mamary glands are left will re-canalize and find their way back to the surface (I have a BUNCH that popped up on the areola) and will help to up the milk supply, but it does take time, and often, stimulation. I was lucky in that I was able to exclusively BF my son only a year and a half after my surgery. Many stories I found indicated that the mom nursed as much as possible with the first after the surgery, but still had to supplement. Then, with the second child, due to the stimulation from the first and increased time elapsed, was able to exclusively BF subsequent children.

My production with my son was always limited, and I struggled hard with pumping enough while at work, sometimes pumping 5 times a day. No matter when, or how long, or how often I pumped, the most I ever got from one breast was about 2.5 oz. I think it was a storage capacity issue. I simply didn't hold more. I could pump every 2 hours, and I would get about 2 oz per breast, or I could pump every 4 hours, and get about 2 oz per breast. Of course, more often I got less, and considered it a great session when I got 3.5 oz total (hence the pumping 5 times a day at times).

Lastly, on the poster interested in the pain issues. It really isn't that painful, in my experience. They put you to sleep during the surgery, and when you wake up, you are doped up. They give you pain killers, in my case vicoden, to take home and take as needed. In my case, I took them for about 2 days afterwards, mainly because the fuzzy feeling they give me is worse than the pain. Once your body enters healing mode, as long as you don't hit them and what-not, it is merely a dull ache. With me, I had drainage tubes in each that I had to go in and get pulled out, but after that, they healed up very quickly. I plan on looking in to doing it again after I am done having kids. Totally worth it, IMO. If you are truly interested, I would recomend doing research into how it is done, what types there are, and also even going in for a consult with local doctors. There are a lot of horror stories of insurance companies denying it as a cosmetic surgery, but I got mine completely covered based on doctor recomendation. Depends on your insurance and your doctor, I guess.
    Last edited by @llli*ladydilee; July 31st, 2009 at 07:34 AM.