Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much food=meal

Default How much food=meal

I am wondering what the normal amount is that you all are feeding your babies. Kaytlynn is a SMALL baby. She only weighs 16lbs at one year old. I think she looks and acts VERY happy and healthy, but you know how the docs. are, she's not on the charts. I'm hoping someone else here has not started solids until recently, I don't know anyone here that is breastfeeding, let alone delaying solids. Around here they push them at three and four months. I get the whole, she should be eating three meals EVERY day, thing everytime she's at the doc.
    Anyway, we didn't start giving her three solids a day until she turned one, that was on the 22nd of Aug. I have been nursing and then giving her food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cereal in the morning, one jar of stage two baby food for lunch, and then one for dinner. She also has little bites of our food, not much at ALL just a very small amount, and then gerber puffs and wheels sometimes during the day. She NEVER ever acts hungry, and she doesn't nurse long, but she never has. She's always eaten for only about 5-10 min. on one side until recently and she won't have much to do with my right side (Its always been slow and now I think it's not as full) so she starts on the left and ends on the right sometimes.
    So what do you all consider MEALS for your babies still on babyfood. She can eat reg. food, but I prefer the babyfood for as long as she will take it, as I think it is much more healthy than the ingredients in some of our food. Thanks for any help. Sorry this is soo long, I just wanted to give a little background. Oh, she also has about four ounces of water with maybe an ounce of juice a day. Thanks for everything!!

Default Re: How much food=meal

Meals schmeals. I think it's best to follow what your baby wants. It's hard I know when everyone is feeding their children solids so young. I delayed solids until Mez was really asking for them at around 9 months. Then it was one type of mashed food here and there. Tastes really. Not meals. He didn't start eating meals until much later. I can't remember when. And even now at 3 1/2 years, he eats what he wants to. He is a big kid and usually does eat a lot so I know I had it "easy". What I mean is that people point the finger less at kids who are bigger as opposed to smaller. If your child looks and acts healthy, then don't worry at all.

-Lauren

Breastmilk is much higher in calories and fat than most foods, so if you're trying to fatten up your baby milk is the best thing you can give her. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

As far as the amount of food goes, give her whatever she wants. I'd nurse her first so she's getting the higher fat breastmilk before other foods. You can add some olive or canola oil to her babyfood if you're trying to fatten her up.

I'd suggest skipping the juice. It's empty calories, which would be better used on more nutritious foods.

I hope that's helpful. I know it can be hard finding a BFing-friendly doctor. Good for you for sticking with what you know is best for your baby.

Jennifer

Yeah, it is harder because she is small. The only problem with giving her food until she stops is that sometimes she will EAT and EAT and EAT, until she gets too full. She used to do that with nursing, she would eat until she threw up. I try to give her enough without overdoing it, but then again I don't want to give her too little either, KWIM?? Thanks guys!!

Why do you feel babyfood is healthier than real food? LLL recomends that the whole family eat a wide variety of whole foods in as close to the natural state as possible. I know my ds was eating mostly table foods by 8 mo and never really needed that baby mush; he always prefered foods with texture.

So far as meals go, a good general rule is 1 tablespoon of each food for each year old the baby/todler is. And a meal is 3-4 different food groups. So for a 1 yo you could offer 1 T of a veggie, 1 T of a meat, 1 T of a grain, and 1 T of fruit or yogurt or whatever. If baby wants more, she'll ask for more. Of course, I don't measure out my ds' foods that precicely, and after some time you'll get a better idea of just how much your own LO is probably going to eat.

comercial baby food is mostly water and little bit food. Plus its more expensive then other foods.
    http://www.cspinet.org/reports/cheat1.html

I like to think that their tummy is about the same size as their hand.
    IF your eating things that maybe aren't so healthy maybe its time to look into changing some of thoose habbits. its ok to have a treat!
    Dr sears has some good ideas on his web site about feeding your family

heres a link to his web site.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/

Thank you. That is a great thing to know, that's exactly what I needed to know. I just know that we add a lot of extra spices and other unnecsasary stuff to our food and I don't want her to grow accustomed to eating that yet, just becasue they aren't always healthy. KWIM, not that it is just plain bad for her, I just would rather hold off for a while. Thanks so much for the info.

spices should be fine. Shes used to tasteing them in your milk if you eat them

mommy2one;
    you described my dd exactly. she is v. tiny also--people are shocked when i tell them she is almost 14 months. they think she is 8 or 9 months( she weighs about 19 lbs but was born 5 lbs 10 oz so i think she is doing great!)

maya isn't big on solids--she eats only a few pieces of everything i give her. i try to feed her what my hubby and i eat-we are v. health conscience. but despite her not eating much, she is v. healthy and happy. i am starting to accept that this is just how she wants to eat.

i was told recently not to expect dd to eat large quantities of big people food because it is bulkier than bb food. apparently,because baby food is mostly water, a four ounce jar of it looks like a lot of food but really isn't

because she won't eat much in one sitting, i give her several small snacks a day. i think she likes this arrangement. some whole wheat crackers in the afternoon, a few pieces of banana before bed. maybe you could try this? i think this is a healthier way of eating anyway v. three huge meals a day.

I agree with the PP about giving "real food" vs. the "baby food". There is nothing unhealthy about spices in food; preservatives and butter maybe but not spices. And in fact, giving them new tastes helps keep their palate open to new options. I have never fed my DD jarred food. We just mashed or pureed whatever the veggies were for the evening (at first I made the frozen cubes while we were still in the introducing/checking for allergy stages). If we wanted additional spices, I would add them after I'd set aside some for her. I have found that feeding your baby the same food that the rest of the family is eating is a wonderful opportunity to ensure that the WHOLE family is eating healthfully. We've made a conscious effort to buy more organic, whole grain, and preservative free products because that's what we want her to eat...but we are eating it too. I'm finding that it's cheaper too. I buy rice or pasta in bulk and just add my own spices and flavorings too taste. Cheaper than "rice-a-roni" with less sodium and preservatives.

Yes, I know that it is much easier sometimes to go for convenience foods. And we do occasionally. But making an effort to eat more healthfully has benefitted us all.

To finally respond to the original post, I would offer your daughter a balanced meal (as suggested earlier) and let her eat until she is full, not forcing her to "finish her plate". I loved the book 'Child of Mine" by Ellyn Satter. A great resource for those looking into what and how much to feed growing kids.