Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 121

Thread: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,007

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*m.chia View Post
    That's awesome! I had no doubts. I've been thinking about starting a thread asking for vegitarian recipes, but haven't gotten around to it. I can't cut out more meat unless I have something to replace it with, and I'm running out of ideas. So glad for your LO. Good job Mama.
    if you go to the "feeding your family" section there are lots of threads with vegetarian meals
    ~Jenn~


    mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

    Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

    ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,836

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    We got her iron levels checked. It is 13.1 !!! Apparently that is a little above average but still normal.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    233

    Exclamation Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Sorry to hijack the present topic, but I had to reply to some of the ideas brought up. I want to offer my knowledge on the subject of food as I have been researching the best diet for quite some time. I want to point out that meat is not the problem, it’s the cooking of meat that is the problem. I won't get into why cooking something is a problem because I'll probably rattle a few cages, but I have the science if you want it. I won't be giving my child any cooked meat ever until he decides he wants to eat it, no matter who recommends it because I know what it does to the body. I won't be giving raw meat either because I don't believe in buying any animal meat in this country unless I can raise it myself. Now that’s a whole other topic. I will always promote a diet consisting mainly of raw food. Here is an excerpt from the book The Live Food Factor, which has to be the most comprehensive book ever written about the raw food diet.

    "Iran has had a long history of raw foodism. A 20th century promoter of the diet was Arshavir Ter Hovannessiam, who wrote Raw Eating in 1967 and founded the Raw Vegeterian Society. He has been a sickly, middle-aged man, only able to work a few hours a day. After switching to a raw diet, he professed more energy than in his youth, able to run up mountains and work all day and late into the night. He raised one daughter from birth on raw food and claims that it is easier to raise a 100 children on raw food than one on cooked. His previous children who were raised on conventional cooked food, were frequently sick, noisy and messy, with emotional tantrums, while the raw child was never sick and remained quiet and happy. Arshavir also mentions in his book that in certain Asian countries, condemned prisoners were executed by giving them nothing to eat except cooked meat! They usually died within 30 days!"

    So again, the problem is not the meat, its how we present day humans prepare the meat. Now lots of raw foodists will claim that we are not omnivores, but frugivores, eating only fruit. But I do believe in some cultures eating meat is the only way to get a lot of the required nutrients as is the case in Alaska, where lots of tribes have thrived on meat. Well, that is until they started cooking the meat, and started getting a lot of the diseases western industrialized societies get. I will not tell people to give their children raw meat because its just not safe in this country and I usually promote raw vegetarianism.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    ...I'm sure there may be a few, but I honestly can't think of any mammal off the top of my head that is by nature a vegetarian. I certainly don't begrudge vegetarians and think that you can live an extremely healthy life without meat, but that doesn't mean that we aren't meant to eat it at all.
    Okay, so to address the problems that arise with only giving fruit and vegetables:

    "Gorillas are the strongest animals on the planet, and they build their muscles on greens and fruit." Yes, the strongest animals do not eat meat! And if you make an average of the ratios consumed by other primates, the figure you come up with is almost exactly 80% complex carbohydrates, 10% fat and 10% protein. So really, Americans are consuming way too much animal protein, its no wonder everyone is dieing of heart disease. I also do not recommend soy, most of the soy grown in the world is genetically modified and will wreak havoc on the body. You can get all your protein by only consuming live plant food.

    There is so much I could say, so much I could teach all of you, I do not want to tread on people, if anyone is interested maybe we could start a thread?
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,836

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Shortly after I posted that about mammals and vegetarians, I thought , cows and gorillas...

    I completely agree that Americans eat too much meat, particularly the way we raise and process the animals they consume. We limit our intake around here. However, I still don't think we are not meant to eat meat ever. I have also done extensive reading on the best eating habits, reading up on veganism, vegetarianism, raw food diet, and also read Nourishing Traditions, In Defense of Food, and The Maker's Diet. For our family, the conclusion I came too, the healthiest way for us is unlimited fruits and veggies, plenty of whole grains, nuts and beans (I wish my kids would eat more beans) limited dairy, limited meat, and limited gluten. I personally didn't come to the conclusion that it is in their best interest to completely exclude any particular food, as long as it is natural. But, that is our families lifestyle, and I respect anyone's decision to consume whatever they want as long as it is an informed choice.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    meh....wherever
    Posts
    7,065

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    As a former flag waving PETA protester myself, I will say that yes, as humans, prehistoric man was not made to eat meat. Our teeth were even different. We didn't have canines or molars as we do today. But due to changes in the Earth, it became necessary for Man to find other food sources, i.e. meat....and over hundreds of thousands of years we have evolved to the meat eating species that we are today.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel


    Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saskatchewan , canada
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    My health nurse also suggested starting with meats , our public health system here suggests it bc they say that a baby would have to eat three cups of cereal a day to get the amount of iron that they need which is impossible to start out with. It sounded strange to me at first but it makes sense the more I think about it I suppose>

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    5,036

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*janelle525 View Post
    Sorry to hijack the present topic, but I had to reply to some of the ideas brought up. I want to offer my knowledge on the subject of food as I have been researching the best diet for quite some time. I want to point out that meat is not the problem, it’s the cooking of meat that is the problem. I won't get into why cooking something is a problem because I'll probably rattle a few cages, but I have the science if you want it. I won't be giving my child any cooked meat ever until he decides he wants to eat it, no matter who recommends it because I know what it does to the body. I won't be giving raw meat either because I don't believe in buying any animal meat in this country unless I can raise it myself. Now that’s a whole other topic. I will always promote a diet consisting mainly of raw food. Here is an excerpt from the book The Live Food Factor, which has to be the most comprehensive book ever written about the raw food diet.

    "Iran has had a long history of raw foodism. A 20th century promoter of the diet was Arshavir Ter Hovannessiam, who wrote Raw Eating in 1967 and founded the Raw Vegeterian Society. He has been a sickly, middle-aged man, only able to work a few hours a day. After switching to a raw diet, he professed more energy than in his youth, able to run up mountains and work all day and late into the night. He raised one daughter from birth on raw food and claims that it is easier to raise a 100 children on raw food than one on cooked. His previous children who were raised on conventional cooked food, were frequently sick, noisy and messy, with emotional tantrums, while the raw child was never sick and remained quiet and happy. Arshavir also mentions in his book that in certain Asian countries, condemned prisoners were executed by giving them nothing to eat except cooked meat! They usually died within 30 days!"

    So again, the problem is not the meat, its how we present day humans prepare the meat. Now lots of raw foodists will claim that we are not omnivores, but frugivores, eating only fruit. But I do believe in some cultures eating meat is the only way to get a lot of the required nutrients as is the case in Alaska, where lots of tribes have thrived on meat. Well, that is until they started cooking the meat, and started getting a lot of the diseases western industrialized societies get. I will not tell people to give their children raw meat because its just not safe in this country and I usually promote raw vegetarianism.


    Okay, so to address the problems that arise with only giving fruit and vegetables:

    "Gorillas are the strongest animals on the planet, and they build their muscles on greens and fruit." Yes, the strongest animals do not eat meat! And if you make an average of the ratios consumed by other primates, the figure you come up with is almost exactly 80% complex carbohydrates, 10% fat and 10% protein. So really, Americans are consuming way too much animal protein, its no wonder everyone is dieing of heart disease. I also do not recommend soy, most of the soy grown in the world is genetically modified and will wreak havoc on the body. You can get all your protein by only consuming live plant food.

    There is so much I could say, so much I could teach all of you, I do not want to tread on people, if anyone is interested maybe we could start a thread?
    I am interested in everything you have to say. If you want to avoid the drama...PM me.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

    DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,081

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolamomma View Post
    I am interested in everything you have to say. If you want to avoid the drama...PM me.
    Me too! I say, keep the info. coming! I want to make the best choices for my family and appreciate those of you who have looked into diets sharing the info. (with sources are appreciated).
    Mommy to:

    Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

    Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months


  9. #89
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Where they keep it weird
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    Me too! I say, keep the info. coming! I want to make the best choices for my family and appreciate those of you who have looked into diets sharing the info. (with sources are appreciated).
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

    "My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Hey! I am so glad people showed interest! I thought I was going to get flagged down! I started a new thread in the nutrition forum because its really off topic here. Here is the thread.

    I do have a question about the original topic "WHO recommendations". I read through it, and they seem pretty adamant about starting solids right away when the baby turns 6 months old because then there is an "energy gap"? I am so confused now, because I wanted to do the BLS, but that would mean he probably won't be getting very many meals before he turns 1, and they basically say that breastmilk is not enough during this time period? This is against what I've been reading! Has anyone done any research about this? Is this just precautionary? I have read testimonials of babies who are growing fine and are only eating a few things by the age of 1. It kinda scared me though because I don't want DS to not be getting enough nutrition, though he doesn't seem interested in eating at this point (6 1/2 mo).
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •