Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

This is really interesting, but I was pretty surprised to see recommendations to add peanut butter and honey to cereals! And margarine?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post

From milk to meat? LOL.

This seems odd to me Meat is rotting flesh, how can this be easily digested by a tiny baby's developing liver & kidney. I will just agree to disagree. Wholeheartedly.
    You are not by chance a vegetarian are you???
    I don't remember why exactly, something to do with the enzymes in the meat. We did a great deal of meat for Ben because he was slightly anemic due to loss of blood through his stools, so for us it was a health factor. Heme iron is much more readily absorbed than non-heme, plus he could not tolerate most grains. If we did not feed him meat, his health would have suffered.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9443116

When we got his iron levels rechecked at a year, the doctor said that he was shocked that his levels were as great as they were, better than most breastfed and formula fed babies, and he was still bleeding.

I don't think that our bodies were meant to eat meat 3X a day like many people do, but to say that we are not meant to eat it at all is a little unfounded in my opinion. we only eat meat maybe for 3 meals a week, and I can go for long periods without eating it at all, but that's mostly because it's not my favorite thing. I'm sure there may be a few, but I honestly can't think of any mammal off the top of my head that is by nature a vegetarian. I certainly don't begrudge vegetarians and think that you can live an extremely healthy life without meat, but that doesn't mean that we aren't meant to eat it at all.

I attended a workshop on vegetarianism and sustainability, learned some surprising facts:

There are many areas of the world where it is not practical or sustainable to be vegetarian. For example, nothing grows on tundra plains, so many people in parts of Northern Asia eat reindeer primarily. Also, where only grass grows, it makes for sense for the people to eat the animals that eat the grass, because grazing animals break down the grass more easily than humans do.

Where people are starving, they have to choose the food source that provides the greatest amount of nutrition, and The World Health Organization has to address the WORLD, not just the upper white middle class moms who shop at Trader Joe's and farmers markets.

We make assumptions that one particular way of life is best for everyone, without really understanding culture, history, environments, or the big picture.
    We made it one year!
    Loving
    and blogging about it all here

I like this thread! Good point from the pp. I didn't realize that people ate reindeer. Am I naive??

Anyway, I just skimmed the article that started this whole discussion - I really like it. Thanks, jenniebean for passing it along. There is good stuff in there.

I enjoy learning about healthy ways to feed my family. So, thank-you!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baby-blue-eyes View Post
    You're very right about open-mindedness. BUT most people who are applauding the WHO for the recommendation fo breastfeeding for 2 years (I believe) already felt that way before the recommendation. So while it wasn't the norm for the world it was the norm for many of those who were speaking up in support. It wasn't a new idea for them. This, on the otherhand is. I think everyone is apprehensive of new ideas, especially one that recommends a first food that most people were told to introduce later due to various reasons. It is difficult to change your ideas about something after reading one article, no matter how well written and how good the sources are.
    While I hear what you're saying, I don't agree with the bolded part. I don't think there's a big population of people who support breastfeeding for 2 years and beyond. I don't have time to find it right now, but the statistics for those still nursing at 1 year of age are not much. I know for me, and it seems like what I've heard from many others after being on this forum for a while, is that they NEVER thought they'd nurse as long as they did when they started - many began with the intention of 6 months, maybe a year.

Anyways, I'm glad this link is opening up some good discussion and informing people, whether they choose to follow the recommendations or not, it's good to be informed.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Do you think that is the case for the whole world? Or just the more developed countries (especially America). I haven't done any research, but just talking with people from other countries (and reading some entries here on the forums) it seems more the norm outside the U.S. to bf until 2 or 2.5. Just a thought??

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

I think, from my limited experience, it is more common in other countries to breastfeed longer. It seems like in the U.S. long-term breastfeeding isn't all that common. I'll save my thoughts on why that is for another thread. But this is an interesting article. (http://www.unicef.org/programme/breastfeeding/baby.htm)

Edit: here's a link that lists how many hospitals in each area of the world and then into countries are part of the Baby Friendly Hospitals. There are ONLY 25 in the US who meet the criteria for supporting breastfeeding as outlined in the Baby Friendly Hospital Inititave. There are only 262 in industrialized countries. Yet there are 1354 hospitals who meet the criteria in west and central Africa.
    Last edited by @llli*jenniebean5; July 23rd, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I totally agree. That's what I figured. So, maybe the thoughts from the WHO are more uncommon to us in America versus what really happens in the rest of the world. It's food for thought!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    I don't think there's a big population of people who support breastfeeding for 2 years and beyond. I don't have time to find it right now, but the statistics for those still nursing at 1 year of age are not much. I know for me, and it seems like what I've heard from many others after being on this forum for a while, is that they NEVER thought they'd nurse as long as they did when they started - many began with the intention of 6 months, maybe a year.

Anyways, I'm glad this link is opening up some good discussion and informing people, whether they choose to follow the recommendations or not, it's good to be informed.
    Thanks for the OP and the great info, I couldn't agree more on the Extended BF, I too thought I'd give it a try and BF for a goal of 6 months.... I had no idea about 98% of the parenting choices I've made the past 21 months.... including delayed solids, babyled solids/weaning, cloth diapers, delayed/selective vax and believe me non of those are the NORM here...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alittlesandy View Post
    The World Health Organization has to address the WORLD, not just the upper white middle class moms who shop at Trader Joe's and farmers markets.
    I found the rest of your post very informative and well written, however
    please explain to me the purpose of this quoted statement....

I'll keep the remainder of my comments to myself for now....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    I totally agree. That's what I figured. So, maybe the thoughts from the WHO are more uncommon to us in America versus what really happens in the rest of the world. It's food for thought!
    Even here in England it's the norm to give babies meat as a first food. It can be found in any stage 1 jar (if one chooses to give their babies that kind of food).
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010