Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 121

Thread: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Here is some more food for thought. No pun intended!

    What the American Academy of Pediatrics says about introducing solids.

    Pub Med study on introducing complementary foods. This is fascinating, because it actually makes an argument for NOT waiting beyond seven months, even for introducing wheat gluten.

    FAQ on the WHO site:

    Up to what age can a baby stay well-nourished by just being breastfed?

    These are all recent.
    We made it one year!
    Loving
    and blogging about it all here

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,007

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Things are changing daily. Baby led solids are being recommended more and more lately, for example, and new literature is being printed all the time. The links you posted are at least a year old. The first one is over a year old, the second one is a year and a half, and the last one is about a year old. As relevant as they are, I wouldn't call them "recent"
    ~Jenn~


    mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

    Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

    ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    I guess what I meant by current is the most current info on the AAP and WHO websites. These are the current links on those sites.
    We made it one year!
    Loving
    and blogging about it all here

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alittlesandy View Post
    Here is some more food for thought. No pun intended!

    What the American Academy of Pediatrics says about introducing solids.

    Pub Med study on introducing complementary foods. This is fascinating, because it actually makes an argument for NOT waiting beyond seven months, even for introducing wheat gluten.

    FAQ on the WHO site:

    Up to what age can a baby stay well-nourished by just being breastfed?

    These are all recent.
    The one with the argument about not waiting beyond 6.5 months says that no infant or child be fed a vegan diet. I am very unlikely to believe anything this article has to say because I've been reading about Moms who raise their children on fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, legumes and some grain with maybe one supplement of vit B12 and have very healthy kids who don't get sick (and doing extended breastfeeding). You do not need pasteurized homogenized, pus-laden, artificial growth hormone enriched, toxic dairy to grow. There is sufficient amounts of calcium in plant-based foods, in fact the calcium in the gross dairy-milk of today isn't sufficient. There is no such thing as "you have to give your kid liver for them to have enough iron, or you have to include wheat or they will be intolerant". Gosh people don't understand how the body works and what foods help/hinder the body, even so called experts.

    Yes, these are recommendations.... well... they don't present them as recommendations... that was my whole point! I am trying to give my child food, but he doesn't want to eat them! Should I chew them up in my mouth and put them in his mouth and force him to swallow?? No, I don't think I'll be doing that.

    Sorry for my rant, I don't tend to listen to any recommendations set forth by organizations, as they usually have reasons that are not solely based on an infant's health... like vaccines<<<scary.
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

  5. #115

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Just my 2 cents FWIW. I read this recently when someone posted it elsewhere and it seems too much for me. I am going very slow with introducing solids and I am extremely picky about what is introduced when. I formulated these opinions, in part, through reading and reading old posts here on nutrition and how EBF is the "best" you can do through the 1st year, with using solids as experimentation. I also like this site as a guide: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm

    I agree that everyone has to decide for themselves, but for us, we won't be introducing meat for a little while yet as I remember reading *somewhere* not to introduce it until 7 or 8 months old and my doc agrees

    Until then, we are using the vegetables highest in iron that are appropriate for this age and we just had her iron checked and we're good for now.

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,280

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alittlesandy View Post

    My son got this memo loud and clear, as he was on 3 meals a day plus snacks by his first birthday. My daughter...well...maybe she can't read yet? She will be one this week and goes days between eating solids. If she does accept them by some chance, she eats 2 bites and is done. She is very healthy and happy. She has been walking for 3 months. Says a few words. Can beat up her brother quite well.

    And she doesn't accept any of the traditional first foods. The food she is most likely to eat is well-seasoned food like curry and other proteins.

    I think its like most aspects of parenting. Follow YOUR child's lead.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes


    Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,836

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*janelle525 View Post
    The one with the argument about not waiting beyond 6.5 months says that no infant or child be fed a vegan diet. I am very unlikely to believe anything this article has to say because I've been reading about Moms who raise their children on fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, legumes and some grain with maybe one supplement of vit B12 and have very healthy kids who don't get sick (and doing extended breastfeeding). .
    Perhaps they mean no milk at all, of any sort. Since not all moms do bf after 6 months. Maybe that is what they meant by vegan

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alittlesandy View Post
    This is such a great discussion! It makes me realize why I love this forum so much. So many smart mamas.
    We tell each other to pay attention to our instincts and to read multiple sources and not follow any one source blindly. HOWEVER, when any mom suggests that she thinks her baby is ready for solids before six months, we say: NO NO NO. You are wrong. Your instincts are wrong. The signals are wrong. Your trusted pediatrician is wrong. Your mother is wrong.

    There are many credible sources that say 4-6 months. There are babies who are literally grabbing food frantically or crying in frustration when others eat in front of them (and they are NOT displaying this intensity with car keys and other adult items or with their toys). There are babies who are insatiably hungry.

    While I agree that four months is WAY TOO YOUNG, I do think there are some babies who become ready a little early, between 22-26 weeks, just as there are babies who develop differently in other ways. Telling a mother who has a frantically dissatisfied baby that she has to wait until the magical six month mark is not helpful to her, and she may just give up and turn away from other wonderful advice offered here, embracing the world of cereals and jarred purees, because that's what the others do, the ones who say it's ok for her to start early.

    I know this is controversial. I'm just thinking out loud. I love that we can have intelligent and civil discussions here.
    I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I thought I'd throw out some of MY experiences. (Love this forum BTW ladies, I've learned so much reading here everyday)

    Oliver is my 3rd baby. I did everything different with each kid. With DD, I was young and ignorant... BFed at home and supplemented while out and about, started rice cereal in her bottle at like 8w on (she's my healthiest child, rarely sick with no allergies) and only BFed til 6mos. DS1, I followed everything... EBF til 14mos (he never in his life had formula nor a bottle), CLS and yet he's my high allergy child.... allergic to peanuts, soy, corn, dairy, wheat, tomatoes and apples, nevermind the outdoor allergies.

    With Oliver, we decided that we aren't going to be so stringent and just go with the flow more. Pay attention to cues and the such. He is my skinny baby and has been at the 5%tile for his weight since 6w (his fenulum was clipped 2w ago and has since been gaining 1-2oz a day!! ). He's been grabbing my food, watching intently as we ate etc. I thought 4.5mos was a bit early to start solids, but we tried it. I would nurse him first then give him about 1-2tbp of homemade oatmeal with BM (LOVE that homemadebaby website!). I nurse him just as frequently as I did before I started. Last night he refused the solids and wanted to nurse! I didn't care and went with it. He has never once gagged on the food, rather he looks like he's chewing it and swallows. Rarely does any of it come back out and he turns his head when he doesn't want anymore. I don't feel bad for starting him early. He's 20w. I'm not a modern mother. We homeschool, use CDs, babywear, no CIO, co-sleep, eat organic, don't vax, don't circ and I'm a born again Christian. I don't like the one-size-fits-all attitude. I will say however that I don't agree to have meats a first food.
    Stacey
    Mom to:
    Alexandria (step-DD 10yo)
    Anastasia (9yo- BFed 6mos)
    Noah (6yo- EBFed 14mos)
    Oliver (5mos- EBF)

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    ..only BFed til 6mos. DS1, I followed everything... EBF til 14mos (he never in his life had formula nor a bottle), CLS and yet he's my high allergy child.... allergic to peanuts, soy, corn, dairy, wheat, tomatoes and apples, nevermind the outdoor allergies.
    This is very interesting! So it seems to me that every child is different, and saying only breastmilk until 6 mo. may not be very smart for some babies.

    I am wondering though Hamptons, when you say EBF until 14 months does that mean he wasn't eating any solids? (I am just like you! CDs, babywear,cosleep, non-vax, intact, homebirthing, and a Christian! It seems like all those things fit together like glue! And NOT saying I'm better than people because of it, I am very passionate about helping people.)
    I don't want my lo to have food allergies since he doesn't seem to be interested in foods yet (7mo). Is it smart to keep on waiting? I did read somewhere that delayed solids could cause allergies. Does anyone want to do some research about it?

    **** But also, I want to remind people that the reason peanuts, soy, wheat, dairy, etc. are so allergenic is because those are the most genetically modified, in everything, processed types of food there are! Wheat can be very hard on the digestive system, dairy is bad if its pasteurized, homegenized and from factory cows, and virtually all the soy and corn you buy is gentically modfied and can actually change the DNA structure in your gut plus soy can cause estrogen effects.****
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*janelle525 View Post

    I am wondering though Hamptons, when you say EBF until 14 months does that mean he wasn't eating any solids?

    **** But also, I want to remind people that the reason peanuts, soy, wheat, dairy, etc. are so allergenic is because those are the most genetically modified, in everything, processed types of food there are! Wheat can be very hard on the digestive system, dairy is bad if its pasteurized, homegenized and from factory cows, and virtually all the soy and corn you buy is gentically modfied and can actually change the DNA structure in your gut plus soy can cause estrogen effects.****
    He didn't start solids til almost 8mos. I found out the peanut and dairy ones on my own at 13mos. The others we found out thru allergy testing. He's the one who got RSV at 6w old too and has had asthma since. I'd never give my kids soy. I considered going the raw milk way last year, but I got pg.
    Stacey
    Mom to:
    Alexandria (step-DD 10yo)
    Anastasia (9yo- BFed 6mos)
    Noah (6yo- EBFed 14mos)
    Oliver (5mos- EBF)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •