Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

Liver? The organ that filters out all the disgusting things and stores them? Feed that to my baby? Ew!!!

Default Re: World Health Organization recommendations for complementary foods...

I just am re-reading this now and am glad that I've read the updates. I am VERY interested in the nutrition and diet stuff - and will try to make time to read the new thread posted. I just wanted to say thank-you to all who have contributed to this. I may be changing our family's diet quite significantly due to what I'm reading. And can I just say that I LOVE lentils?????

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenni View Post

Liver? The organ that filters out all the disgusting things and stores them? Feed that to my baby? Ew!!!
    We've already gone through this one.....
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I just finished reading the report, and I find it interesting that they recommend waiting at least 4 months, 6 months if possible, but feeding solid foods sooner if your child "received frequent breastfeedings but appears hungry soon after." They also recommend that you "spoon-feed complementary foods from a bowl or cup," and that babies 6-7 months of age should be eating three times each day.

How do we reconcile this conflicting advice with the fact that we refer to the World Health Organization as recommending breastfeeding for two years? Pick and choose which advice we follow? Just curious.
    We made it one year!
    Loving
    and blogging about it all here

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alittlesandy View Post
    I just finished reading the report, and I find it interesting that they recommend waiting at least 4 months, 6 months if possible, but feeding solid foods sooner if your child "received frequent breastfeedings but appears hungry soon after." They also recommend that you "spoon-feed complementary foods from a bowl or cup," and that babies 6-7 months of age should be eating three times each day.

How do we reconcile this conflicting advice with the fact that we refer to the World Health Organization as recommending breastfeeding for two years? Pick and choose which advice we follow? Just curious.
    They recommend breastfeeding for two years and beyond, but not by itself. For the first year, it's my understanding that complementary foods should be given in addition to breastfeeding, not in place of. Make sense?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Thanks for your response! Actually, my post must have been confusing. I realize that they mean breastfeeding along with solids until two years old. What I mean is, people on this forum regularly cite the WHO as a source, but their study actually states that there are times when it's ok to begin solids before six months, and that solids should be spoon-fed at first. This goes against the advice on this forum (absolutely never start before 6 months, BLS, etc.).
    We made it one year!
    Loving

Yea, I was wondering about this as well and no one answered me, who are we to believe? they say that there is an "energy gap" in between around 6 months-1 year if you are just giving breastmilk. I have read stories on here of infants not really eating solids until 10 months! Does that mean they weren't growing from 6-10 months? no! I want to see where they get their information.
    Because of that report I got worried that my lo wasn't getting enough, even though I know he is. And nothing he could even eat at this point would give him much more energy, it would take more energy for his developing digestive system to process new food than it would be to take it slow and offer when he is ready.
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

I want to agree with the pp. I also have found that once I started solids with both of my lo's their interested in bf went down. I ended up weaning my first at 10 mo. b/c I really wasn't informed enough about the benefits for bf past 1. And with my second now at 13 mo. I am struggling to keep her interested in bf b/c she loves solids so much. I personally think that introducing solids too early (especially before 6 mo.) jeopordizes the bf relationship. I think it would be pretty tough to bf for 2 full years and be giving 3 solid meals to a baby from 4-6 mo. on. JMO. It is confusing to me as well to look at advice that seems to contradict itself. I fully agree with BLS, bf past 1, etc. so I would have to ??? some of the WHO recommendations... I am very interested in what other moms would have to say!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

take what works for you and leave the rest

The WHO puts out tons of releases. Sometimes they are new (like this one) and as mothers we evaluate it. Look for back up sources, listen to intuition, etc. I don't think ANYONE should follow any one particular organization blindly. That's just silly. You HAVE to question EVERYTHING. Personally, I only listen to half of what the WHO says. The half that I have found OTHER info to support it. If I read something from 6 different CREDIBLE sources, I'm more likely to follow that advice then something that has only come from ONE source, kwim?? The WHO is a credible source, but they are only one source. When the WHO says that starting solids at 4 months is fine (or whatever, that's just an example) my gut says "wait now! stop! this doesn't make sense to me." and I'm off to find OTHER sources because my gut told me something wasn't right. For *ME* starting solids after 6 months made the most sense. There were TOO MANY sources for me to even count that recommended this. Various pediatric organizations, Kellymom (which has TONS of other sources if you choose to keep digging), parenting mag/site/books, etc. So I go against the WHO on this one.

Following an organization blindly is not wise. Just because one thing they say makes complete sense to you, doesn't mean that EVERYTHING they say will/should make sense to you. We quote the WHO because they are a credible source. That doesn't mean they're always right. Make sense?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

This is such a great discussion! It makes me realize why I love this forum so much. So many smart mamas.

However, I'm going to play devil's advocate, because that's what I do. It drives DH crazy.

We tell each other to pay attention to our instincts and to read multiple sources and not follow any one source blindly. HOWEVER, when any mom suggests that she thinks her baby is ready for solids before six months, we say: NO NO NO. You are wrong. Your instincts are wrong. The signals are wrong. Your trusted pediatrician is wrong. Your mother is wrong.

There are many credible sources that say 4-6 months. There are babies who are literally grabbing food frantically or crying in frustration when others eat in front of them (and they are NOT displaying this intensity with car keys and other adult items or with their toys). There are babies who are insatiably hungry.

While I agree that four months is WAY TOO YOUNG, I do think there are some babies who become ready a little early, between 22-26 weeks, just as there are babies who develop differently in other ways. Telling a mother who has a frantically dissatisfied baby that she has to wait until the magical six month mark is not helpful to her, and she may just give up and turn away from other wonderful advice offered here, embracing the world of cereals and jarred purees, because that's what the others do, the ones who say it's ok for her to start early.

I know this is controversial. I'm just thinking out loud. I love that we can have intelligent and civil discussions here.
    We made it one year!
    Loving