Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping to increase supply . . . give baby pumped milk?

Default Pumping to increase supply . . . give baby pumped milk?

Hi All,

I'm starting to pump to increase my supply and am wondering if I should be giving my baby some of what I pump. She's gaining weight slowly, about 4-5 ounces a week. She's just three weeks old. I pumped a feed (both breasts) and got 3 ounces. She doesn't drain both breasts, she's very sleepy. We've tried waking her (warm washcloth, burping, changing diapers, undressing her) and she seems to nod off once the flow decreases. She's probably getting about 2 ounces each feeding which correlates to the the amount of weight she's been gaining (and what she has not been gaining). She's got 5 mustard/seedy poops a day and at least 7 wet diapers. The seedy poops are often small and sometimes medium sized.

So, I'm going to pump a little after each feed. My question is this: should I feed her an ounce of what I pump or will this interfere with increasing my milk supply.

Thanks for your advice!

Default Re: Pumping to increase supply . . . give baby pumped milk?

Since you said that your baby starts to nod off once your flow slows down and she is not emptying the breast, could you try breast compressions to keep her actively drinking at the breast?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: Pumping to increase supply . . . give baby pumped milk?

i would save that milk for when you need it later on (ie when you need to go out for a bit! I would freeze it in 3-4 oz portions so when you need it down the road it is a full bottle's worth
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!