Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, I think I gave my baby sour milk...

Default Help, I think I gave my baby sour milk...

I accidentally gave my 5 week old son some soured breastmilk (frozen and thawed) around 4am this morning. I didn't realize it til he took about an ounce and a half of it. He's got some gas issues already so I thought his squirming was because he was gassy, but when I sniffed the milk, it smelled sour.

I feel so awful. Someone please tell me he'll be okay...

I feel like such an awful mother...

Default Re: Help, I think I gave my baby sour milk...

Don't beat yourself up about it- confused, tired, early morning feedings can really mess up a mom!!! Since it was breast milk, I'd honestly not worry too much-baby may have a bit of a sour tummy, but I doubt you'll even get that. I read somewhere once that you can leave breast milk at room temp for up to 8 hours without worrying about spoilage!!!!

I did something similar a few months ago. We were at the mall and I took some EBM for a bottle. I guess I hadn't kept it cold enough.. she only got about half an ounce down before I noticed it didn't look quite right. I tried to go into Motherhood to let her nurse, she wasn't having it. Those poor pregnant women were probably scared to death. Anyways.. my doctor said just to give her Mylicon(sp?) drops once every three hours for the next twelve hours. It helped her fussiness a lot.

he will be ok. it's no big deal, just a little extra bacteria for his intestines which is not a bad thing at all. He might struggle with a bit of gas, but that's it.

I have thawed milk at times, and it smelled sour to me, but it actually wasn't. For some reason, bm smells like that to me a bit, but even when I KNOW it hasn't gone bad, kwim? Just a thought.