Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: domperidone

Default domperidone

I do not have a supply problem, but curious to know if any of you have used domperidone to increase milk production.

The drug is not available in the US, but is approved by American Academy of Pediatrics to enhance milk production. In Europe (at least in France, where I come from), some mother take it occasionally to increase milk production. There, it is also given to infant to treat reflux !

Have you heard of it? Have you ever taken it? If it is safe (they argue it is a large molecule, and doesn't go into the milk - or little) why is it not commercialized in the US?

Thanks !

Default Re: domperidone

I haven't taken it, but I'm hoping my order will arrive in the next week or so.

The LC I went to suggested my supply issues are glandular and not for lack of effort, so I may have leveled off in what I can naturally do. I'm hoping the Domperidone will bump things into higher gear. If not, he'll get as much as I can give and formula for the rest.

Quote simply there isn't a good reason to not have approval by the FDA for domperidone. But they have a drug they are pushing that does the same thing and refuse to approve domperidone. And that other drug (reglan) can has problematic side effects, like depression. It also crosses the blood brain barrier and isn't approved by the AAP for use in nursing mothers (although in regard to lactation risk it is likely ok).

The FDA's reason for not approving is that there were some cases of mortality using domperidone for a very different purpose in a different context. Other countries' assessment of the risk is different. There are ways to get domperidone legally in the US, which I and others have done, but you should talk to a medical professional and do your research before making a decision (I know you were asking in the hypothetical, but for the sake of others who might be lurking on this thread). It IS a medication and has its own risks, and does require a prescription to purchase both in the US and many other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*smudgycat View Post
    I haven't taken it, but I'm hoping my order will arrive in the next week or so.
    Did you find a way to get it in the US? If so, where/how? My LC recommends I switch from reglan to domperidone, but I don't know how to get it.

I was prescribed Domperidone on two occasions to increase milk supply in the early months after my DD was born. I'm in New Zealand, and it's an accepted method to assist increasing milk. Granted it's a side effect of the drugs actual purpose.

I can't honestly say I noticed any increase from taking the Domperidone, though others who also took it swore by it. Guess it depends on each person.
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

This is from another post on the same subject.

just a note on legality of the Dom...

Quote:
    It is perfectly legal for a US doctor to prescribe domperidone even though it isn't available in the US. Any Canadian pharmacy can send you domperidone if you get a prescription from your doctor. And it is legal for a US citizen to bring domperidone into the US for personal use provided it is accompanied by a doctor's prescription, a letter stating that the medication is for the patient's personal use, and the shipment does not exceed a 3 month supply.
    and this is from the FDA

Quote:
    FDA regulations

Note: for best results it's a good idea to take domperidone 1/2 hour before meals and at least 1 hour before pumping or breastfeeding.

FDA regulations state that the following criteria must be met to import medications into the US. It is legal for US residents to import medications from outside the US provided the following conditions are met.

1. The product was purchased for personal use and does not exceed a 3 month supply.
    2. The product is not for resale.
    3. The intended use of the product is appropriately identified.
    4. The patient seeking to import the product affirms in writing that it's for the patient's own use.
    5. The patient provides the name and address of the doctor licensed in the US responsible for his or her treatment with the product.
    6. The medication is not a controlled substance, e.g. sleeping pills, Valium, narcotics.

Although domperidone is not readily available in the US, you may still obtain the medication.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Just popping back to say that the dom has been helping me quite a bit. I went from being able to pump 1oz or so a day after feedings to 5+oz a day after feedings. I'm hoping that my supply keeps increasing so I can stop formula at some point, but I'm very pleased so far.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*smudgycat View Post
    Just popping back to say that the dom has been helping me quite a bit. I went from being able to pump 1oz or so a day after feedings to 5+oz a day after feedings. I'm hoping that my supply keeps increasing so I can stop formula at some point, but I'm very pleased so far.
    I am so glad to hear this! I too can get 1 oz out of each side (whether it's after a feeding or a couple of hours after) and will need to do more once I go back to work. How long were you on it before you noticed a difference?