Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Minimum pumps to retain at least some supply?

Default Minimum pumps to retain at least some supply?

Hi

I have been ep'ing since my dd was born, due to her having had surgery to help her swallow soon after birth, and she has a VERY weak latch. She also has major acid reflux and combined with the pumping it takes approx 2.5 hours to feed her and get her to a settled place. She is now 19 weeks and I am still pumping 5 times a day, and feeding her thickened feeds plus administering 3 types of medication with every feed. And completely drained of the will to go on as I am getting about 4 hours sleep at night and no naps during the day.

I completely expect to be advised to keep going but, to be honest, I can't. So I am (reluctantly) planning to reduce the number of pumping sessions to the point where I am getting perhaps 500 ml a day (currently getting 1400 over 5 sessions) so I can give 3 feeds out of the 7 as BM and the rest as formula.

Due to her condition and reflux we are fully expecting to commence weaning at 6 months simply to prevent further damage to her oesophagus and mouth so the idea would be to formula/bm feed for now and as she requires less and less milk to cut out the formula first and continue as long as possible with bm for her drinks.

In an ideal world I would love to exclusively feed her breast milk but I know that if I go on doing things the way they are that she will end up on 100% formula and I will be too tired to do anything.

Thanks

Default Re: Minimum pumps to retain at least some supply?

So sorry to hear you and your LO are having such trouble. I can't give any advice, just hugs.

I hope you get the advice you need. =)
    + +

Default Re: Minimum pumps to retain at least some supply?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*matildesmum View Post
    So sorry to hear you and your LO are having such trouble. I can't give any advice, just hugs.

I hope you get the advice you need. =)
    Thankyou so much - the hugs are very much appreciated!!! xx