Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dropping Feedings

Default Dropping Feedings

LO is doing great - 21lbs at her 9 month check up. She's getting 3 solid meals a day with some snacks in between. She's drinking water from her sippy at about 8 - 10 oz a day. At 9.5 months, she's hitting her milestones and is great.

She's been dropping feedings. She had been down to 7 nursing sessions a day for the last month. I was okay with it.

However now she's been cutting those sessions down to a fraction of the time for the last week. The only "full" session is in the mornings. During the day she's distracted or cranky or falls asleep. I'm lucky if she lasts 3 minutes. Before her nap is a little longer, but still not a full session. Bed time is only about half as long as it used to be.

I know that they're supposed to be more efficient at this age, but this is a little beyond my comfort level. Can I get some reassurance here ladies?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Dropping Feedings

My doctor said to give her as much water as she wanted at our 9 month check up. So I just keep it out and she can drink whenever she wants. It's an 8oz cup and I fill it in the morning and then freshen it up sometime in the late afternoon.

He also said that we needed to get her on to 3 meals a day which we've now done (I hadn't been giving her breakfast at that point).

He's always been really supportive of BF and his recommendations have typically been inline with what is said here. So I didn't question it.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

Default Re: Dropping Feedings

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    What are you goals with BF?
    You know what? This is a good question!

I came into this thinking "we'll give it a try". We fought through those first few weeks with week long goals. Then it was month long goals. Then it was to get to 1 year. I've been very happy with just allowing our BF relationship to evolve on its own and take its own course.

I have to go back to work at 1 year. That's only 11 weeks away. I won't be able to pump while at work (stress, deadlines, etc.). So I was hoping to be able to be down to just nursing when I was home.

While I think we're on our way to that sort of schedule, I think it's too soon. I think I'll back off some of the water and the snacks. Not eliminate them, but just a little less to get more BF in. I still want her to get more nutrition from BF at this stage.

Thanks for talking me through it!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and