Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: thats it...i quit!

Default Re: thats it...i quit!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I love these forums for all the support you can get! We truly are a "family!"
    I think we all started out coming here in desperation - no clue what my first post was about - and found that the mamas here bolstered us up to keep going. We're here if you need us and you can totally do this.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I love these forums for all the support you can get! We truly are a "family!"
    These forums are the best!

And the other posters are right - it is so, so worth it to continue. You put the HARD work in now, and it's so benificial later! I remember wanting to just pump and bottle feed Owen - I was so tired of trying to get him to nurse only to have to do the bottle and pump afterwards, then start all over. And, there were feedings where I didn't try to nurse him, because I just didn't have it in me...and I am still breastfeeding my 2 1/2 yr old daugther - so I truly believe this is best and have done it long term. But it's different with a preemie and it really is hard. However, it is possible and I'm so glad I stuck with it. It sounds like you have a good supply and like your little guy is gaining well - what if you try to nurse him exclusively for a few days - doing the every hour thing if he needs it and just pump to comfort once he's done if you feel like you still have a lot of milk? (Or if he feeds well off one side, you could just pump a little on the other). That way you hopefully avoid mastitis. You will need to decrease the pumping slowly, but it will be easiest to do that if you make sure he gets what he needs from nursing and then pump only to comfort, rather than emptying your breasts. This way you start signaling your body to produce more of what your little guy needs instead of a full pumping's worth each time. Does that make sense?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*erinburke View Post
    I'm seriously tearing up right now. How unbelievably supportive. I really really appreciate it. I think that was the pep talk I needed to really buckle down and give this another try. You arent free for the next week or so are you? Wanna come over to my house?! Haha. Thank you all so much!
    I didn't chime in earlier because I haven't btdt with a preemie, but this made me all teary too. You can do it, mama.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I can do this! I am actually (unfortunately) already back to work. I'm working part-time though, so on the days I'm not working, I will get my mom to come over and we can marathon together. Lucky her!! This starts tomorrow! I'm a little worried though, I'm not feeling all that enthusiastic about it!

Just think about us all here for you!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

For what it's worth, lots of moms comes here at around 6 weeks to post about how they're ready to give up on nursing, even without the difficulties you've faced/are facing. It's a really tough time - you're over the euphoria of having a newborn, and all the "help" has gone back to their own lives, but things often haven't started to get easier yet. But they will, very soon. Hang in there.

You're already doing so well with the EPing, as said in an earlier post, it's the BM that's the great thing, but it is also difficult getting the EBF going.

We've been there. It's very hard when you bring them home from NICU, where they have a lovely 3 or 4 hourly feed routine, you measure the exact amount you're giving them, and you know it'll last them for the time till their next scheduled feed. This routine however, is only set up for the ease of the NICU staff, not the ease of the baby. I desperately tried to keep our four hourly feed routine going when we brought our daughter home, but it didn't fit well with me, having to BF, then top up, and then pump. Felt like I was doing every feed three times. So we took the leap of faith, and went to exclusive demand BF during the day.

At night, we stuck with the bottle EBM feeds four hourly as we felt we needed sleep more importantly! Until she began sleeping longer, then went to EBF.

You mention supply doesn't seem to be an issue for you, have you thought that maybe you have a fast let down, and your baby is struggling with this?

What's the nature of the fussiness after a feed? I found it really difficult working out what my baby wanted, and would often just offer a BF, when it may have been something else. First time parenting is mindboggling!
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

Thanks again for the responses. I did buy a sling, but I must not have it down just yet because I still have to stop and sit for him to nurse. I was however wondering about the let down. I was reading posts about OALD and was curious if thats what I had. We are using a shield right now and as soon as I put it on, my milk starts to drip out of the holes. What a mess it makes. Its nice, because he doesnt have to do much sucking and it def encourages him to latch, but it may be whats frustrating him. I have found that we are more successful an hour or so after I've pumped. The fussiness after a feed is potentially a touch of reflux, but its not after every feed. More or less, he just screams after he's fed. I dont really know what the problem is. I am convinced its either reflux or overtiredness. Lots of stuff going on here that I just dont know!

Could be relux. My daughter got mild reflux once we'd brought her home from NICU. It was about her actual due date. She'd scream when laid flat after a feed. Would arch her back when BF, and kept pulling off. We wondered what had happened to the perfectly content baby we had while she was in NICU. I never had the OALD issue, so knew it wasn't that.
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

Hm...well we are going to meet with the peditrician about possible reflux issues. If it is oversupply and OALD, what is the solution?