Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hiccups

Angry Hiccups

my ds has gotten the hiccups after his last 3 feedings. it keeps him awake and he gets annoyed. am i doing something to cause them? is there anything i can do to get them to go away. it's not like i can tell him drink some water and hold your breath. help!!!!

Default Re: Hiccups

This is one of the reason's I finally gave my LO a paci. It seemed that even though nursing caused his hiccups, nursing/sucking also made them dissapear. The paci doesn't rid him of them, but it does settle him. Nursing, on the other hand, seems to work like a charm! Who knew?
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I have heard that hiccups can be related to reflux. My daughter gets them a couple times a day. The only thing that gets rid of them is nursing again. But, keeping the baby upright after feedings and a pacifier can help prevent some of them.

My dd doesn't take a paci, but I found nursing for just a drink or so does the trick.

DS had hiccups a lot when he was a newborn. I do think that there is a link between frequent hiccups and reflux --- at least for us. We chose not to give a pacifier but did find that nursing helped him get rid of the hiccups most of the time. I have also heard that Gripe water works. How old is your LO? If you choose to introduce a pacifier I would hold off for at least 4-6 wks (like with a bottle) until BF is well established.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

we tried to give our dd a pacifier, but she wouldn't take it. both gripe water and nursing worked to get rid of her hiccups! sometimes, i notice that if i don't burp my dd, she ends up getting the hiccups (and of course, if i do burp her, she doesn't). not exactly sure if there is a true link between the two or it's just coincidence!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

My baby gets hiccups all the time too. What is gripe water?

Here's a link to grip water

http://www.babys-bliss.com/

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001