Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Re-refrigeration options?

Default Re-refrigeration options?

A bottle was refrigerated for roughly 24 hours and left on the counter for 2 hours. It happened late last night - it has already gone from cold to warm to cold.

Can this still be fed to the baby? It was in a closed bottle, no nipple. It isnt an unfinished bottle - just storage.

Does this need to be consumed in a certain amount of time? I was planning to feed it to her tonight.

Default Re: Re-refrigeration options?

Did the babies mouth ever touch the bottle? Or was it just left out to get to room temperature and then never used?

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for the clarification - no the baby hasnt had touched it.

It went from refrigerator, to guilty husband's hand who put it on the counter for 2 hours, back into guilty husband's hand who re-refrigerated it to cover his tracks...

Taste it. Babies won't drink milk that is bad. BUT when in doubt you can taste it. Now, I always thought my milk tasted gamey (and therefore disgusting) after it was refridgerated(Sp) vs. very sweet when 1st pumped. But my son never rejected it. My leader told me to trust my kid. It's not like cows milk in that we get sick if we miss it and drink it. Your child won't drink breastmilk that tastes off to them. Taste it your self. And if it doesn't taste BAD, then let your baby be the judge!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for your reply.

Before I saw your response, I put a call into the pediatrician. He confirmed I could give her the milk. He advised I smell and taste it, ensure it wasnt curdled.

It was fine - no smell and tasted as good as your own bodily fluids can taste. I cant confirm she will take it as I will give it to her tonight, but I dont expect any problems.

WHEW.

The husband celebrated.