Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice on partial weaning 1-year old who nurses all day long

Default Advice on partial weaning 1-year old who nurses all day long

Hello Mamas,

I have a delightful 1 year old daughter who just loves to nurse, and I am 8 weeks pregnant. Since she learned the milk sign at 10 months, she asks to nurse every 1-2 hours. Currently, it's about 9-10 times a day (wake up, before and after naps, for comfort during the day, bed, etc). Almost every time she climbs in my lap she asks for milk. She is so adamant and uses the milk sign over and over again so it is hard to distract her. We have tried offering goat's milk but she's not interested at this point. I feel bad when I deny her, but I need to get on a more reasonable schedule. I think I could better handle the discomfort of bf-ing her while pregnant if it were only a few times a day. Anyone with experience with partially weaning a very frequent needy nurser would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Default Re: Advice on partial weaning 1-year old who nurses all day long

The easiest way to distract is not to end up in those places where she crawls into your lap. In my house, my son will try to nurse EVERYTIME I sit down at the computer or on the couch. So I don't when I want him to not nurse. At one the easiest way to distract him was to go. Out to the park, to a mommy and me playgroup, to other tot spots. Places that were way more exciting than my lap!
    IMO at that age, 1st thing in the morning, up and down from naps and to bed are all still in the realm of things they need. (My son did at least) but the ones you want to work to cut out are the ones that are simply happening because she has nothing better to do.
    HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Default Re: Advice on partial weaning 1-year old who nurses all day long

I agree with getting out of the house. I have weaned down to two feedings by using this method. If I dont leave the house he will become adament about nursing. He will drink his sippy much better if we are out and about.