Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help with starting solid foods

Default Re: help with starting solid foods

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Why are either of you mamas who are thinking of beginning not waiting until the 6month point?
    My husband is a teacher and he starts back to school at the beginning of Sept. We wanted to start our LO on just rice cereal and move him into his own bedroom before he goes back to school. We don't want to do both of them at the same time because that is too much for him to get used to all at once. And we do not want to move him into his bedroom that soon so we are waiting until the end of August to move him (he will be 6 months on the 26th) so he has time to get used to it before my husband goes back to school ... we are worried he will be up all night because it is a different room. So we were going to start solids when he is like 5 1/2 months so he has a few weeks to get used to that before we move him into his room. We completely agree with not starting him on solids until he is 6 months or older. We just feel as though this is the best way to do it. Our pediatrician is not pushing us at all ... he says our LO really doesn't need it yet. It does get frustrating when everyone else around us though is constantly asking us when we are starting solids and we should be doing it already ... such a pain He is actually starting to watch us eat food and seems to be very curious about it. And he loves chewing on an empty spoon

Proud Mommy to Nickolas
    ~~~2-26-2009~~~
    I love my family so much

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*snowbear33 View Post
    My husband is a teacher and he starts back to school at the beginning of Sept. We wanted to start our LO on just rice cereal and move him into his own bedroom before he goes back to school. We don't want to do both of them at the same time because that is too much for him to get used to all at once. And we do not want to move him into his bedroom that soon so we are waiting until the end of August to move him (he will be 6 months on the 26th) so he has time to get used to it before my husband goes back to school ... we are worried he will be up all night because it is a different room. So we were going to start solids when he is like 5 1/2 months so he has a few weeks to get used to that before we move him into his room. We completely agree with not starting him on solids until he is 6 months or older. We just feel as though this is the best way to do it. Our pediatrician is not pushing us at all ... he says our LO really doesn't need it yet. It does get frustrating when everyone else around us though is constantly asking us when we are starting solids and we should be doing it already ... such a pain He is actually starting to watch us eat food and seems to be very curious about it. And he loves chewing on an empty spoon
    But remember, he does that because it's shiney and he wants to mouth everything. He is not interested in solids food. You don't miss what you have never had. He thinks food comes from YOU.
    And why are you frustrated? People ask. So what? Children dont' need anything nutritionally besides breastmilk for AT LEAST a year. And really would be fine longer. There is nothing for you to feel bad or ashamed about. People are going to ask about whether on not he STTN too. Them asking about it, isn't going to make it happen any sooner. But it is no reason to feel bad or frustrated.

Way too lazy for formula

I started letting DS play with food around 5 1/2 months, but not actually having meal times or anything. He didn't eat any of it.

We tried to do baby led solids, but my day care provider wasn't cooperative and DS learned from her to just wait for you to put the spoon in his mouth. Before I had been handing him a spoon with rice cereal on it and he would put it in his mouth. With day care's influence, he stopped doing that. So now I just feed him. We're starting to let him play with solid solids, like a piece of bread or whatever, but its hard because none of the food we eat is what he should be eating. We have light, lo-cal, non-organic stuff mostly and I don't want him having that until after a year.

When you start solids, just watch his poops. If your LO starts straining or having firmer-than-normal poops (regardless of frequency), you should try easing up on the solids and seeing if that helps. DS was doing so good on lunch and dinner solids that we tried breakfast for a couple days. He loved it, but his tummy didn't do so well and it took us a week and a half to get him back to normal poops.
    Mom to Jack 11/27/08 (Our Thanksgiving Baby!)

I have not read through the other posts, but in my opinion, the following link is worth reading before starting solids. And I definitely wouldn't recommend starting solids before at least 6 months of age and then only think of it as an introduction to solids without replacing any breastmilk.

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2000/WHO_NHD_00.1.pdf
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months