Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with starting solid foods

Default help with starting solid foods

My son will be 5 months at the end of the month (he's growing so fast ) and we are going to try starting rice cereal at the beginning of August. We aren't really sure what the best way is for introducing solids to him. I am exclusively BFing and what to know how many times a day do I give him solids when I start and how much I should give him? Also, do I BF first and then give him the cereal or the other way around? What are some of your schedules for feeding your LO's? I don't really go much by a schedule for feeding because he is fed on demand still but for the most part he eats around the same time everyday ... usually he wakes at 8am and eats, then between 10:30-11:30pm, between 1:30-2:30pm, around 5pm, and when he goes to sleep at 7:30pm. So I would need something that works sort of with those times. Any other information about starting solids while breastfeeding would be soooo great! Thanks

Proud Mommy to Nickolas
    ~~~2-26-2009~~~
    I love my family so much

Default Re: help with starting solid foods

Here are a few resources that might be helpful
    why delay solids
    make baby food

My lo is nearing 9 months. I don't really think it matters when you offer foods, as long as your baby has had breast milk in the hour or so before. This is because foods until one year are just for learning & experimentation... that's the lesson I've learned around here... your doctor may tell you different but I prefer to listen to breastfeeding experts before my doctor...

I did a few weeks of traveling this summer and didn't even have to worry about offering food. Now we're home again and I'm trying to remember to offer every day but I don't always. And I guess it's not a big deal.
    Do what works for you.
    GLuck.. have fun!
    Nursed for 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    your doctor may tell you different but I prefer to listen to breastfeeding experts before my doctor...
    and

Here's an useful link on introducing solids: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

My pediatrician would tell you that until your baby's first birthday, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They're not nutritionally necessary until age 1, at which time the switch from needing nothing but mama's milk to needing lots of solids is a gradual one, with many babies still mostly breastfed well into the second year.

We took a baby-led approach to solids, since my child did not like the spoon. (She almost invariably batted the spoon away or tried to grab it before it went into her mouth. Ask me about the splatters on my walls!) We would put soft, gum-able solids on her tray and let her experiment with getting them into her mouth. It really took the pressure off of the whole introduction to solids thing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yep we skipped the whole puree route this time since DD didn't like mushy foods forever. Her first food was avocado. I just cut it into chunks and let her play with it. Eventually some make it into the mouth She is now 10 months old and I just give her something to eat whenever we are sitting down to eat. Usually it's some soft fruit or some steamed/roasted veggies cut into chunks.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

My LO will be 5 mos at the end of this month too! I am thinking of starting solids for her as well.
    I have always done the pureed food for my LOs in the past...I am so confused about the baby led solids thing. How can you make sure that whatever you give them is small enough and soft enough for them to not choke but yet they can pick it up???
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beccib72 View Post
    My LO will be 5 mos at the end of this month too! I am thinking of starting solids for her as well.
    I have always done the pureed food for my LOs in the past...I am so confused about the baby led solids thing. How can you make sure that whatever you give them is small enough and soft enough for them to not choke but yet they can pick it up???
    A great way to do it is to offer things in "french fry" shapes. Soft enough to gum of course. That way baby can pick it up and play with it/maybe get some in her mouth. I think part of the idea behind BLS is that the baby won't get anything in her mouth that she is not developmentally ready for. By the time she has a pincer grasp perfected, she'll be physically ready to eat those kinds of foods. Cool, huh? Before they get to that stage it's pretty much a lot of mashing it in their hands/rubbing it in their hair/throwing it on the floor and maybe getting a bit in their mouths here and there. Choking isn't also as big a worry as you would think as babies have a great gag reflex and if anything gets too far back they're normally able to gag it back up. I've read that there's actually more of a choking risk with spoon feeding purees, as babies suck the food off a spoon and this can bring it to the back of their mouths before they know what to do with it. With BLS, it can be frightening to watch a baby gag, but once you know the difference between gagging and actual choking (ie. no air going in or out, etc) then it's a bit easier to relax. If you still feel worried, maybe you could find a local pediatric first aid course to ease your fears?
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Why are either of you mamas who are thinking of beginning not waiting until the 6month point?

Way too lazy for formula

I start back to school in the third week of August and would like to start solids prior to that. My LO will be with a new DC and just in case there are some reactions at first, I want to be the one to pay attention.
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beccib72 View Post
    I start back to school in the third week of August and would like to start solids prior to that. My LO will be with a new DC and just in case there are some reactions at first, I want to be the one to pay attention.
    I just want to caution you about starting too early. If you're concerned about reactions, starting early is really not the best choice. Children with a likelihood of developing allergies are given a better chance if introduction to high allergy foods is delayed. If you don't suspect allergies, waiting until 6 months is still a good idea. The first foods are generally low allergen foods anyway, so a reaction is very unlikely. Higher allergen foods like peanuts, shellfish, etc are usually introduced after a year. Unlike we first thought, babies just aren't ready for solids before 6 months - their digestive tract is still maturing. The old school thoughts of starting rice cereal at 4 months is now not advised by most pediatricians.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Gotcha...I will keep that all in mind as I make my final decision! Thanks
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz