Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Getting enough milk? (6 mo.)

  1. #1

    Default Getting enough milk? (6 mo.)

    First time mom and worried

    I introduced solids about 3 weeks ago on his 6 month b-day.

    Here's his current schedule:
    7:30am breastfeed
    11:00am breastfeed and solids (carrots,potato,meat puree)
    2:00pm (hit or miss) sometimes he nurses, but not much
    4:00pm rice cereal mixed with 1/2 water, 1/2 formula, and apple puree
    8:00pm breastfeed

    9pm in bed and sleeps til morning

    I constantly worry about him getting enough to drink and enough of that breastmilk nutrition. I don't know exactly how much he drinks because I breastfeed. He just doesn't drink as much as before solids and everything i read about it from the U.S. says he should be getting just as much milk now as before we started solids. His diapers are definitely less wet than before solids. He poops regularly and that looks like a healthy normal consistency.

    I currently live in Germany and my doc here said that him taking in considerably less milk is normal. At his 6 month exam he was around the 30th percentile and she said that was underweight for him, and said to start solids right away. She advised me on what to give him and when. After two weeks of solids (he really likes eating) he was back up to the 80th percentile. She says when he's thirsty or hungry he'll let me know he wants to nurse. But I feel like although he acts happy and healthy, I don't know if he's really getting enough milk and liquids altogether. In the morning and last feeding before bed are a struggle against all distractions. I think i get about 8 good minutes of drinking out of him max before he just gets way too excited about playing and stops. The German standards are much different from the American ones, and I'm not sure why. Does my schedule look okay?

    Anyone got advice?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Getting enough milk? (6 mo.)

    Hi There!

    I have worried a lot about this, too.

    Here's something to keep in mind: babies will change their nursing patterns and then pick up nursing sessions along the way! It sounds like your active little guy is enjoying solids and you are worried that he isn't nursing enough. He may pick up nursing again as he gets more teeth or goes through a growth spurt.

    Here are some things you can do if you feel like he isn't nursing enough:

    1. Always nurse before giving solids, even if he just nursed a few minutes ago and even if he only nurses a little.

    2. Add pumped or hand expressed breast milk to food and purees instead of water and/or formula. This way, he will get extra breast milk.

    3. Feed him a couple of hours after he has fallen asleep. A lot of babies will nurse better while they are asleep - it's called dream feeding. So, if he goes to sleep at 9 p.m., put him to your breast before you go to sleep between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. Then lay him back down.

    4. Offer to nurse a little more frequently, even if he doesn't seem hungry. Babies will get distracted and forget to nurse - and even 2 minutes of nursing is better than nothing.

    5. Offer a little bit of water in a sippy cup if you are concerned that he is getting dehydrated. He may not take to a sippy yet, but you can still try.

    6. Keep watching his diapers. If he is pooping regularly you are probably ok, but it's always a good thing to keep an eye on.

    I hope that helps! Please keep up updated and let us know if you have more questions...

    I'm Erica

    Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

    and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

    Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Getting enough milk? (6 mo.)

    Thanks for your tips!

    Although my doc here in Germany said his 11am and 4pm mealtimes should not include breastmilk, just the solids, I have been nursing beforehand anyway. At those feeding times he is always hungry and focused and nurses well and he still eats solids well even afterwards.

    Both electric and hand pumps hurt my nipples. So I use formula to mix in with the rice cereal instead.

    He drank great yesterday and today. I didn't even offer anything at 2pm which means he's drank at only 4 mealtimes each day, but drank longer and stonger at all feedings. All his diapers so far have been good and soaking. That makes me feel way better.

    If he ever has a day when he doesn't drink so good, I'll try the feeding at night like you suggested. I've done that before and he does truly drink in his sleep.

    Also, we've been practicing with some water in a cup for the last couple weeks. Mostly gets all over his bib but today i think he actually drank some! I'm not sure how much water is okay but I usually just try about 40ml each day.

    I think you're right that he's changing as far as his eating patterns go. Just the last 2 days have been so much better. I hope this stays for a while but if not, I'll try night feeding and extra ones in case he takes them.

    thanks again!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,097

    Default Re: Getting enough milk? (6 mo.)

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*harrys.mom View Post
    Thanks for your tips!

    Although my doc here in Germany said his 11am and 4pm mealtimes should not include breastmilk, just the solids,
    Six months is very young to have meals that don't include breast milk! It's good that you still nurse him before solids even if your doctor says not to. As you have probably found out here along the way, solids are largely for experimentation in the first year. It's more a learning/exploration process than a nutritional must. Breast milk contains more calories than many solids, so by giving baby only solids instead of breast milk a couple of times a day, especially at this young age, you could actually be short changing him of essential calories and important fats.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,883

    Default Re: Getting enough milk? (6 mo.)

    I would back off to solids once a day and try to nurse lying down in a quiet dimly lit room. Just because he slide in percentiles and soon climbed up after solids doesn't mean it was because of the solids. Babies grow in fits and spurts. BM has more fat and calories than almost any other food. However, given that he is distracted it is conceivable that he was already nursing less and is enjoying the foods because he can eat and look around. But solids at not the cornerstone of good nutrition the first year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Getting enough milk? (6 mo.)

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Hi There!

    I have worried a lot about this, too.

    Here's something to keep in mind: babies will change their nursing patterns and then pick up nursing sessions along the way! It sounds like your active little guy is enjoying solids and you are worried that he isn't nursing enough. He may pick up nursing again as he gets more teeth or goes through a growth spurt.

    Here are some things you can do if you feel like he isn't nursing enough:

    1. Always nurse before giving solids, even if he just nursed a few minutes ago and even if he only nurses a little.

    2. Add pumped or hand expressed breast milk to food and purees instead of water and/or formula. This way, he will get extra breast milk.

    3. Feed him a couple of hours after he has fallen asleep. A lot of babies will nurse better while they are asleep - it's called dream feeding. So, if he goes to sleep at 9 p.m., put him to your breast before you go to sleep between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. Then lay him back down.

    4. Offer to nurse a little more frequently, even if he doesn't seem hungry. Babies will get distracted and forget to nurse - and even 2 minutes of nursing is better than nothing.

    5. Offer a little bit of water in a sippy cup if you are concerned that he is getting dehydrated. He may not take to a sippy yet, but you can still try.

    6. Keep watching his diapers. If he is pooping regularly you are probably ok, but it's always a good thing to keep an eye on.

    I hope that helps! Please keep up updated and let us know if you have more questions...

    Ok, I need som help! I have a 6 month old girl going on 7 months in about 4 days. She's been breastfed since birth. I did have to supplement at 2 weeks with formula as she was not gaining any weight with my BM. Well at about 2 or 3 months she stopped taking the supplemental formula. I would offer her a bottle after nursing her and she wouldn't take it so I was happy to remove it. I never really felt confident that I was making enough milk, but she seemed OK. She was nursing about 6 to 7 times a day including late night feedings. The thing that bothered me was that at about 3 months or so she didn't breastfeed for 15 minutes on each side. It always seemed like 5-8 and at times and even now seems like 3 minutes on each. Not sure if it's because she gets the milk released sooner as oppose to it coming down slowly... I don't pump unless she misses feedings at night and my breast are heavy in need of a pumping or I don't have enough milk to mix it with her cereal. To the babyfood: she started rice cereal at about 4 1/2 months. Dr suggested 1tbl spoon of cereal to 3tblp spoons of bmilk for bfast, lunch, and dinner for a full week and then up the tbl spoons of cereal each week until it was 3 to 3 of each. Well I was always worried about giving her too much so I never really gave her the dinner portion as I thought it was too much cereal for her to have. I was afraid to upset her tummy or lock up her little bum . Well then I moved to oatmeal cereal and still onlt give her about 2 1/2 tblspn of it with 3 tblspn bmilk. I started giving her carrots for lunch and skipped dinner as I still wanted to offer as much milk as possible. Well they (dr) say to introduce a different food 7 days apart so I started with carrots. She seemed to like them OK and I was onl giving them to her for lunch and sometimes dinner. I started noticing that she would have any dirty diapers some days and when she did they were like nuggets which scared me as I didn't think it was normal to have adult type and smell poopy yet. So I started to skip dinner foods. Then I started bananas for bfast right before the cereal. So I would nurse her, wait an hour and then give her a small ripe mashed banana then immediatley after some cereal w/ bmilk. So if I cannot introduce a new food until a week later do I give her banana for bfast and keep giving her carrots for lunch or do I have to do banana for bfast, lunch, and dinner? How do you introduce new foods, when can you give her three different foods a day? Also, she still won't sleep through the night!!! Is this normal? My husband, his mother and mine seem to think she's not getting enough milk from me and so I need to giver her formula before bed or stop the nursing all together. My concern is if I supplement again, will her stomach get upset with the bmilk, the babyfood, and formula? I think it's too much to mix throughout the day for her tummy. Also, I don't trust formula, organic or not. I tried pumping when she missed a feeding during the day and the most I've gotten is 3oz on both breasts combined. When I pump in the mornings when she actually slept that night I have made 4 oz just on one breast alone and I leave the other one for her to feed on as it never fails that I'm pupming and then she wakes and wants to feed so if I pump both she has nothing to nurse as it's been drained. If she pulls away from the breast or bites on it doesn't that mean she's had enough even if it's just 3 minutes on each? She is very squirmy so it may be that she's too distracted. She's very cranky trough the day and cries all the time. She can't have me out of sight! I work from home by the way, so at times I can't pay too much attention to her as my work is a bit demanding. How do I know she's feeding OK? When will she sleep through the night, how can I help that? Is it normal for them to throw tantrums or be manipulative?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,564

    Default Re: Getting enough milk? (6 mo.)

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bam007 View Post
    So if I cannot introduce a new food until a week later do I give her banana for bfast and keep giving her carrots for lunch or do I have to do banana for bfast, lunch, and dinner? How do you introduce new foods, when can you give her three different foods a day?
    You don't have to give her the banana at every meal. I just give a new food once -in the morning. My daughter is 9 months old and she still only gets one food - fruit/veggie once a day at lunch and then oatmeal in the morning and afternoon if she's at the babysitter. She only has oatmeal in the morning if she's with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bam007 View Post
    Also, she still won't sleep through the night!!! Is this normal? My husband, his mother and mine seem to think she's not getting enough milk from me and so I need to giver her formula before bed or stop the nursing all together. My concern is if I supplement again, will her stomach get upset with the bmilk, the babyfood, and formula?
    I have oversupply and my daughter does not sleep through the night. It has nothing to do with food. I am not sure why people are so obsessed with babies sleeping through the night. Adults do not sleep through the night, they just don't need assistance from someone else when they wake up usually.

    Also, I don't think that babies are manipulative. I don't understand why the older generations feel that way.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Getting enough milk? (6 mo.)

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I have oversupply and my daughter does not sleep through the night. It has nothing to do with food. I am not sure why people are so obsessed with babies sleeping through the night. Adults do not sleep through the night, they just don't need assistance from someone else when they wake up usually.

    Also, I don't think that babies are manipulative. I don't understand why the older generations feel that way.

    I don't either. I honestly don't think it's the food, but more so the energy. Last night she kept waking every 2 hours and when we tried to put her back to sleep she was kicking, screaming, hitting, and pulling away from us. I think last night had more to do with food as her hands felt extremely warm and so this her head although she had no temperature. I gave her banana, cereal then for lunch I gave her an entire 2.5oz earth's best apple puree as she'd get real mad when I stopped feeding her, then I gave her 2 slices of avocados for dinner and my husband let her lick his nectarine before I gave her avocado beause he loves to see how much she likes it and I think we overloaded her with things yesterday.

    Yeah, both my mother and his think she's manipulating us as we carry her quite a bit, but we feel good loving her and feel bad that we both have to work and she's stuck at home with not much to do. Plus I think her mind opens up more if you have her around with you as oppose to jailed in a pack n play. She does fuss a whole lot though. We just don't know what we're doing wrong so we can change our habits. I have a 10 year old which was nothing like my little one so I feel like a new mother new to all this. My oldest was never fussy, she only woke at nights to feed and would go right back to sleep. Our little one has us up all night and wants constant attention. How does she learn to hit? She's 6 months and when you put her down to play she throws herself back. When I think she's throwing a tantrum like throwing herself back I don't pick her up, but more her to her crib or bouncer. I'm having the hardest time reading her signs. I don't want to misread them for tantrums if they're not and vise versa. I just want my baby to be healthy and happy. Her missing poopies bothers me, but she has a ton of wet diapers so I know she's not dehydrated. Her weight is normal and some say she looks too chubby (the older crowd). We don't want to be selfish, but we would like to get some rest at night and not have her screaming at the top of her lungs. We tried allowing her to fall asleep on her own, but she screams so loud and for long periods that we rock her instead, which I don't mind, but it's when you put her down an an hour later she's screaming again that's when you're asking yourself what's going on!?
    Last edited by @llli*bam007; July 20th, 2009 at 11:07 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Getting enough milk? (6 mo.)

    I gues my real question is, is there a set amount of times babies her age should nurse, drink water, sleep? I know all babies are different, but isn't there a minimum for a guideline? Also, we thought about putting her in daycare for at least once a day to her get to interact with other people as she's stuck at home with us all day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •