Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: white residue on nipple?

Default white residue on nipple?

It looks like dried skin...I have been exclusively pumping for about 6 weeks, I haven't breastfed my son for those 6 weeks due to latch issues and pain (I stuck it out for 4+ weeks, but decided this was best for both of us) anyway...when I pump (I have the large shields) and usually if I take a shower shortly after, I noticed a white residue on my nipple, it comes off if I use a washcloth but what is it? It looks like dead skin..but I'm not sure..I started (today) using the vinegar/water solution that someone suggested for thrush...I figured it couldn't hurt...I didn't notice anything different....should I be putting Lanolin on my nipples to keep them moist? Does pumping dry them out?

Default Re: white residue on nipple?

Could it be dry bm the pump is leaving behind?

It's possible it's a bleb or milk blister, perhaps? Do you have any lumps or discomfort in that breast?

-linda

Default nope

no pain or discomfort...it's on both of them....could they just be dry? if so how do I fix it?

i have been exclusively pumping for 5 weeks and have the same thing. i think it is dry skin. i try to rub all of it off when in the shower. i had the same thought of thrush, but my ds does not have any white spots on his tonge and i don't have any pain in my breast. i really think it is just skin although i don't know why it is happening either. just wanted to let you know it's not just you.

I've been exclusively pumping for 4 1/2 months now and I always get the same thing in the shower. I think its a combination of dry skin and dry milk.

I've never had any reason to think it was thrush. DD's been to 2 checkups while and they've never noticed her having it.

I don't really pay it any attention.

I had the same thing and it was just dry skin. When wet, it turned white and almost looked like a scab. Rubbing a little bm on the nipple and allowing it to air dry cleared it up for me in about 4 days.

I had thrush and trust me you'd know! They itch and are funny colors. I got it from taking antibiotics. Good thing my son doesn't come in direct contact with my breast he did not get it. So, if you haven't had antibiotics recently, you probably shouldn't have to worry.