Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Seeking Advice from LARGE & XLARGE flange users

Default Seeking Advice from LARGE & XLARGE flange users

Im a first time mother so this is going to be a long one........(TAKES DEEP BREATH)

I gave birth almost two weeks ago, on July 4th to my DD (that means dear daughter, right?). Anyway, a little less than 20hrs after her birth, she had to be moved to the "special care nursery" so I was forced to pump much sooner than expected. The LC on staff at the hospital had me try three different Medela flange sizes. The standard which was completely out of the question, a 30mm which was just as painful and a 36mm which works well for one breast but still pinches the other. Almost every day of our seven day stay in the hospital, I had some type of pain or discomfort from pumping (cracking, blistering, mastitis, etc). I used the double electric Medela pump they made available to new mothers, which I believe LC referred to it as the "classic". I didnt have a pump at home so I purchased the Medela Harmony handpump when we were finally discharged from the hospital.

Since using the manual pump, Ive noticed a decrease in the amount of pain but Im still experiencing some discomfort with the flange size. Ive even noticed that when Im cleaning the parts after pumping, sometimes there is a residue inside the flange which resembles the skin around my areola (as if it has "rubbed off"). When using the double electric pump, I tried lubricating with lanolin before starting but it made matters worse since it increased the friction causing both my nipple & areola to move all over the place during suction. So Ive been pumping "dry" and quite honestly it doesnt hurt as much as when I use lubrication. Anyway, my question is this.....are there any other pump choices that might give me a more comfortable pumping experience but also has large flange sizes available? Ive heard mention of Lansinoh, Ameda, Playtex and First Years but nothing specifically to flange sizes. Any and all input is much apprecaited. Thanks :-))

Default Re: Seeking Advice from LARGE & XLARGE flange users

I am pretty sure there is a size 40 too. I will hunt it out if there is. Check with your insurance company and see if they will buy you a double electric. I don't know about any of the others sorry but there will be someone along soon who can help.

Hope you and your baby girl are doing better soon

ETA: 40mm shield does exist
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; July 17th, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    I am pretty sure there is a size 40 too. I will hunt it out if there is.
    Yes, I called Medela's 800 number while I was in the hospital and they do indeed make a 40mm shield BUT.....its made of blown glass and they cost $80 a piece (not per set). OUCH!!! I was hoping for a more "economical" alternative before I bit the bullet and coughed up that kind of money.

OMG - eek. I wonder if the soft fit (with the freestyle) would fit any better?

I know there are a lot of moms on here that could help, but a lot of the pumping moms are working moms who only come on during the week. You may want to try also putting this in "breastfeeding your infant" because more people go there.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I have the same problem with my nipples rubbing on the edges. I tried all the sizes and while the Xlarge does work better, it still hurts.

I ended up purchasing the Pumpinpal flanges that tilt downwards slightly. They work much better and my supply has increased. Though every now and again, I'll get a bit tender. It's not an everyday issue at least!

You can buy a combo pack of large and xlarge to save you some money.
    Last edited by @llli*matildesmum; July 17th, 2009 at 09:42 PM.
    + +

My LC suggested using olive oil around the edges of the shield. I havent used it, I've more or less developed caluses around the edges of my nipples. I also use the Lasinoh after each pump to help a little. Another thing that helped me was to change the position of the shield every 5 mins or so, to give certain areas a break. For me though, it just got better with time. Good luck!!