Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Birth control and breastfeeding?

Default Birth control and breastfeeding?

I returned to my ob yesterday to find out why I am still bleeding from delivery over two months ago. An ultrasound was performed and there are no placenta fragments, so the doctor said that i should go on the pill to regulate the bleeding. I have heard this causes low milk supply, does anyone know if this is true? Or should I wait and see if the bleeding stops on its own? If it is menstration like bleeding, I am wondering if the pill may actually help my low milk supply because I have heard that there is a dip in supply during menstration, and for me it is never ending! Any insight to my situation is appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Birth control and breastfeeding?

Welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry you are going through these challenges.

Your concerns are warranted. In general, estrogen-containing birth-control pills DO tend to decrease milk supply. Estrogen is found, in combination with progestin, in 'regular' BC pills, those called "combination pills". The mini-pill, however, is progestin-only and does NOT contain estrogen. Progestin-only/mini-pills are not believed to decrease milk supply and they are commonly given to women who are breastfeeding. Progestin-only pills can make menstrual bleeding lighter than it would ordinarily be.

I would suggest that you check with your doctor to determine which kind of pills were being discussed - that will help you make your decision. Come back and ask more questions if you have them!
    good luck.....linda
    Last edited by jsmom; September 7th, 2006 at 09:40 PM.

i was given a prescription by my OB for the mini pill back in june during my 6-week appt. i've never gotten it filled because i've heard that even the mini-pill MAY affect your milk supply. two of my friends took the mini-pill...one stopped lactacting, so she stopped the pill and started to relactate. my other friend's milk supply decreased...so...in short, i don't plan to fill my prescription because i don't want to take the chance of affecting my milk supply in any way.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

You know, the simple truth is that everyone responds differently to all meds and it's wise to err on the side of caution if you are worried. I have several friends who went on the mini pill and it did not impact their milk supply at all. Same with some women who went the Mirena (progestin-releasing IUD). Still.... it was a simple choice for me: didn't want artificial hormones....so I've avoided all of that. It's a personal choice and I'm glad that we each have the freedom - and information - to try to make good choices!
    -linda

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBird'sMom
    I returned to my ob yesterday to find out why I am still bleeding from delivery over two months ago. An ultrasound was performed and there are no placenta fragments, so the doctor said that i should go on the pill to regulate the bleeding. I have heard this causes low milk supply, does anyone know if this is true? Or should I wait and see if the bleeding stops on its own? If it is menstration like bleeding, I am wondering if the pill may actually help my low milk supply because I have heard that there is a dip in supply during menstration, and for me it is never ending! Any insight to my situation is appreciated.

Thanks
    I bleed for about 10 weeks afterwards, I thought it would never end!!!! I am on the "Mini Pill" which does not effect milk supply or go through the milk (that's what my OB told me at least and what I read in the packet that came with it). The Mini Pill hasen't effected my supply at all.