Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 month old with Low Diaper output? Help!

Default 6 month old with Low Diaper output? Help!

I have been noticing lately especially when we go out that my DS has a sudden drop in wet diapers. Sometimes they seem to be dry even after 7-8 hours. But then the next day he is back to normal with sometimes 4 wet diapers in less than 2 hours. Today he has only had 1 poop diaper and 2 noticibly wet diapers. I tried pumping and my supply seemed normal. He has been nursing every few hours and is happy and alert.

But this really worries me because he was slow to gain at first- only about 4oz. a week the first 2 months, then our supply did great and he gained about 5 1/2 pounds the next two months.

Could it just be the weather? It's around 100 today and my air conditioner busted.

TIA

Default Re: 6 month old with Low Diaper output? Help!

I think the weather could play a huge role. You say some days he has plenty of wets? I don't think you have a real problem then, since it's not really a pattern of not enough wets.

Pumping by the way won't tell you much about your supply; it just tells you how much you can pump.

How often is he nursing? Most 6 mo should be nurisng at least 6-8 times in 24 hours.

He normally has plenty of wet diapers- 6-8. He is a frequent nurser- at least every 3 hours- usually more with a 4-5 hour break at night. So far he's had one more wet and one more poop. So 2 poops and 3 wets in about 19 hours. He's still in a great mood, no more naps than usual, alert, etc. I just can't figure what it could be besides the heat.

I know pumping isn't a good indicator, but I pumped after nursing and I was still getting a decent amount out so I just thought at least I had supply.

Are you making sure you stay hydrated yourself? Make sure you're drinking enough water for yourself!

I agree that the heat could be the main cause. You need to stay hydrated of course. Since you mention that you went out and he stayed dry for an extended period, it may be that he is especially feeling the heat in the carseat or sling or whereever he spends his time while you are are out. I live in the tropics and I know I have to be extra careful to drink enough all the time and to carefully watch if carseat or front back seems to be making baby super sweaty. HTH.

nutria

You will notice if your ds is getting dehydrated--his color will change, he won't be drooling, there will be no tears (but don't be alarmed if there aren't necessarily...some babies don't always cry real tears), his soft spot will be sunken, and if you lightly press on his fignernails, they will stay white for longer than 2-3 seconds.

Babies start to have better bladder and bowel control at some point too. I notice my dd will hold it from time to time (wish I knew why--I would use it to our benefit). And if its hot, he may be sweating some water out instead of peeing it out. Is is urine especially smelly or yellow--that can also be an indicator of mild dehydration, but not always!!!!! It may be strongly scented and yellow for other reasons too.

Again...make sure you are staying hydrated. That is very important in the heat. And keep watching the diapers, offering to nurse, nursing on demand, etc....you are doing everything right.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I agree with pp
    babies at that age learn to hold it too...
    So he might just not be going as often, just more when he goes.