Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping concern

Default Pumping concern

I have started to pump on my right side due to a large crack in my nipple and it is still uncomfortable when my son nurses on that side. I also don't think he is latching on properly. Last week I had a breast infection I believe was on the right side. That breast was red and hot. While pumping that side yesterday, I removed the pump and there was this white, thick, blob hanging from my nipple. Has anyone experienced that? Each time I have pumped since, there is some form of the same thing coming out of my nipple. Could that be from the infection? Or could it be what causes a blocked duct? I am wondering if I should be concerned with this? Thank you for your time!

Default Re: Pumping concern

Last week I had a breast infection I believe was on the right side. That breast was red and hot.
    That definitely sounds like a breast infection. It could have been mastitis- did you have flu-like symptoms (fever, chills, aches)? If not, you probably caught the infection before it turned into mastitis- so job well done there!

While pumping that side yesterday, I removed the pump and there was this white, thick, blob hanging from my nipple. Has anyone experienced that? Each time I have pumped since, there is some form of the same thing coming out of my nipple. Could that be from the infection? Or could it be what causes a blocked duct?
    The "blob" could definitely be the cause of or the product of the plugged duct. A lot of moms notice a stringy or clumpy appearance to their milk when they have plugs.

Although what you describe sounds very much like a symptom of or a cause of your problems, remember that human milk direct from the breast isn't like the cow's milk we get at the store: it hasn't been filtered, pasteurized, and homogenized, so some clumpiness or stringiness or just non-uniform texture is normal.

I am wondering if I should be concerned with this?
    I don't think you need to be overly concerned about the blob- since I think it's more a symptom of a problem than a problem in and of itself- but you certainly should be concerned about the cracked nipple, the plugged duct, and the infection. Continue to pump, and get help from a lactation consultant to see if she has any tips to help you fix the problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"