Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to pumping- blisters

Default New to pumping- blisters

I'm very new to pumping and am having painful problems....My daughter is 2 weeks old and feeding quite well. Her doctor told me it was okay to start pumping to get some milk stored for when I return to work. I have the Avent Isis Uno pump. Today I pumped for probably 10-15 minutes and got about 3 ounces (which I gather from reading other posts is an adequate amount) but I became quite blistered. I knew the pump wasn't comfortable, but didn't realize it was blistering me. I have so many questions and don't really know where to start so any advice would be great.

How do I tell if the pump just doesn't fit me correctly? I'm thinking of switching over to the Madela which is recommended by my LC. I've of course got all of the storage containers, etc for the Avent brand but figured I could transfer the pumped milk into the Avent containers.

I also feel like I have to lean over the Avent pump (can't sit up straight or back in a chair) because I feel like the milk pools around the breast- is this normal?

One last question- does the milk become freezer burned? I've got hard, 4 ounce storage containers, and since I can't fill them up, there is empty space in the container. I don't want to struggle to pump and get milk stored and then have to throw it out.

Again, any advice would be great. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. Thank you,

Michelle

Default Re: New to pumping- blisters

michelle-
    i got bad blisters on my nipples in the beginning too. turns out i had the suction too high. it could also be the fit. has your lc seen you pump?? mine was a big help to show me how to use my pump most effectively. pumping shouldn't hurt and sore nipples are horrible, so i hope you can get the problem fixed soon.
    best of luck!

i have been told that pumping should be soothing. for me it hurts the first couple of seconds when my nipples first get pulled out, then it goes away.

I have a madella and i also feel i have to lean over. if not my milk seems to pool around my breast too. I feel even if i sit up and angle the shield down that i lose suction or have to bend over. just wanted you to knwo you are not alone in that.

Wink Re: New to pumping- blisters

Are you sure your nipples are too big?? Maybe they are actually small and you need a smaller size??

Good luck!!!!
    Last edited by Liddleone; September 8th, 2006 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks for the replies!

I have no idea how to tell whether the pump actually fits me. It occurred to me that maybe I blistered because I had to sit too deeply in the pump to get suction meaning maybe the pump is too big.

Anyone have tips on how the pump should fit?