Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is a deep freezer?

Default What is a deep freezer?

I'm looking into purchasing a deep freezer. I've always overproduced since my daughter was born 9 weeks ago. I've been saving this in hopes of extending her breastmilk intake beyond weaning. But, in order to do this I'll need to deep freeze it. I'm looking into getting a deep freezer, but I'm not sure what one is. Is it only the chest freezer type (opens on top), or will an exclusive freezer do? Are these deep freezers?

front door freezer from target

chest freezer from sears
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Default Re: What is a deep freezer?

A deep freezer works well below freezing. So you'd have to see how cold they get. The chest style freezers are usually deep freezers. I love them! We had an old one that died on us - big bummer. I'm jealous!
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

They are both technically deep freezers, as they stand alone and get colder than one which is part of a fridge. That being said, the chest works better because cold air sinks, so you lose very little cold air when you open the lid (compared to one with a door), which keeps the temperature more stable.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thank you! I think we'll go with the chest style, since that is the best choice. My husband doesn't want to get that one because he says it's hard to find stuff when you have to dig it out. I'll just tell him we're not getting it for him.

Thanks so much!!
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lindsey213 View Post

Thank you! I think we'll go with the chest style, since that is the best choice. My husband doesn't want to get that one because he says it's hard to find stuff when you have to dig it out. I'll just tell him we're not getting it for him.
    I like the way you put that! BTW, I ended up devising a system with rigged-up string bags so that I didn't have to dig at all; if your DH is even vaguely handy you can put him on it. (I can give you more info if you like, once I get back in town.)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png