Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how can I build up milk suppy before starting back to work

Question how can I build up milk suppy before starting back to work

My son is 3 weeks old and I will be returning to work August 10th fulltime. I want to know if anyone has any suggestions on how I should go about getting a good milk supply built before I go to work? I pumped for the first time last night and was able to pump almost 8 ounces. My son is nursing at around every hour to 2 hours during most parts of the day.....rarely he will go 3 hours without nursing. So when should I pump if he is nursing as often as every hour? I dont want to start back to work with a little supply and it would be nice to get out and do a few things and have a bottle with BM for my husband to take care of him with while I am out. Please any suggestions? There is plenty info on the website regarding when to pump at work but when should I do it before I get to work so that I can build a supply but without taking away from already set feedings?

Default Re: how can I build up milk suppy before starting back to work

You can pump after nursing and probably will still get a small amount. That works for a lot of moms, they just combine those small amounts over time. Or if baby only nurses on one side you can pump the other side while he nurses. If you do pump and baby unexpectedly wakes up or wants to nurse soon after don't worry- you'll still have milk, since your breast is never actually empty and the pump will never be able to empty it as well as your baby can. It might flow a little slower, but your baby will not go hungry if he nurses after you've pumped.

Don't overdo it on the pumping beforehand, though. It sounds like you have an abundant supply and you don't want to end up with oversupply problems from pumping too much.

Good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: how can I build up milk suppy before starting back to work

with pp

I usually pumped first thing in the morning after my dd nursed on one side. That was when I was at the fullest. I also found that if my dd or ds went to sleep for their "longest stretch" it was like 930-10ish to 230-3ish...So I would pump before I went to bed at 11!

I would also pump for ten min after a reg feed when she or he would use both breasts..it would only be about an oz but after a while it would add up to a full bottle
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!