Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to pumping and STRESSING!!

Wink Re: New to pumping and STRESSING!!

I am also pumping and stressed !!! I am a first time mom of a beautiful 2week old baby girl. I have a MIS pump but I am having such a hard time getting 1 oz total from both breast. At first I thought something was wrong with the pump so I troubleshot it with someone from Medela over the phone. The pump is in good working condition. My lactation consultant told me to pump after the 6am and 9am feeding. At 6am I only got a drop of milk out, at 9am I was able to get just under 1 oz from both breast total. Is this normal??
    I called Medela once again, they told me that the suction of the MIS is obviously different than my LO and that eventually my breast will become accustom to the differences in suction. As far as my milk production, I am having no problems nursing my baby. She is getting more than enough milk. My troubles are with pumping. Help! Anyone. Thank you, Scouch.

Default Re: New to pumping and STRESSING!!

i just want to thank everyone of you on here for helping me out, i am really relaxed about it now and i will try to get a better pump ASAP, too bad i do not qualify for WIC or i most definitly would try that route but thank you for that information i do appreciate it. I will try to increase pumping to one more time per day but i will tell you it is making me pretty sore, partially it is this pump i really do despise it but for now it is working good enough. I will continue BF for as long as i am able and i hope that is a very long time, i just love it, even with the trials and tribulations

scouch - Don't stress! I wouldn't image that you would be producing much if your LO is only 2 wks old! It will come, don't worry!

Nevaeh - As a PP said, pumping is a learned art. Did you just start pumping last week when you went back to work? It took a good few weeks to start getting a comparable amount of milk from the pump as what DS eats. As far as the let down goes - I didn't feel mine until DS was at least 10wks. It is possible that you will feel in the days/weeks to come.

I agree with the PPs. Try not to stress. On days that I am extra slammed at work and have to *rush* a pumping session I don't produce as much. I try to relax, drink some water and get comfortable (and log on to LLL ).

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

You're welcome. I also want to stress that if you really can't afford an electric (I think the Ameda PY is about $200 and is the cheapest high quality electric as far as I know), I HIGHLY recommend the Avent hand pump. I promise I don't work for Avent - I really think they have a great product! Although, if you have very large breasts the shields can be to small, I've heard.
    Anyway, HTH again!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb
    You're welcome. I also want to stress that if you really can't afford an electric (I think the Ameda PY is about $200 and is the cheapest high quality electric as far as I know), I HIGHLY recommend the Avent hand pump. I promise I don't work for Avent - I really think they have a great product! Although, if you have very large breasts the shields can be to small, I've heard.
    Anyway, HTH again!
    that could pose as a problem, i am in an e cup right now, and with more of a milk supply they will probably grow.

If i dont get the medela PIS this weekend i'll see if i cant manage the avent hand pump, thank you all for helping me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown
    My advice is buy the good pump now--just think how much formula you will have to buy if you end up having to go that route. I have the Ameda Purely Yours and it is much cheaper than the Medela PIS, and from what I have read and heard, just as good.

2 ounces seems low to me! How much is your lo eating while you are away from him? That is a good indicator of how much you should come close to pumping. And pumping is a learned art--it takes time to get used to the pump. Relax...pumping is never very successful unless you can do that.

And the questions raised by the pp are good questions. Are you getting a letdown while pumping? How long are you pumping. I am more than willing to help you but I need a little more info! What kind of room do you have to pump in? Have you tried pictures of the lo or a shirt he wore the night before? anything to stimulate your mind to think of baby!
    I also have a Ameda Purley Your and I love it. I have tried both the medela and ameda hossy grade pumps, and I would have thrown the medela out the window if they would have offered me a ameda. My sister has both the Ameda Purley Yours and a Medela Pump In Style and she prefers the Ameda also. It is a lot more cost effective and you can actually clean the pump instead of just having a bag....I just pump once a day in the mornings due to she won't nurse off of both sides. It is a learned art and I usually have to pump for about 20 mins to get everything that I can out....

i rented a medela lactina this weekend for a month and so far i love it; i didnt realise how bad my other pump was hurting me until now! thank you ladies for al of your help

Quote Originally Posted by scouch
    I am also pumping and stressed !!! I am a first time mom of a beautiful 2week old baby girl. I have a MIS pump but I am having such a hard time getting 1 oz total from both breast.
    Don't worry at 2 weeks post pardum you are still not producing a lot of milk. You babies stomach is very small right now and as the child grows so will her stomach and her need to have more milk. It is a supply and demand relationship. The more she demands the more supply you will have. It will be about two months post pardum that you will see pump sessions over 2 oz.

I used a first years double sucessfully for a year (pump 3x day 15 min sessions M-F). I have pump weaned now for 2 weeks. The only trouble i had with the pump was sometimes if the valves not in place good it wouldn't work as well. As far as the supply I think youre doing fine since your just starting to pump. For me as time went on and I stayed on a pump schedule EBM increased. I found by looking at pic it only made me miss DD more and stress about amount being pumped. I chose to do crossword puzzles and I would get so caught up in the puzzle that on more than one occasion I run over bottle. (Always got 4oz on left and 1 1/2 to 3oz on right. Don't be alarmed if you don't gt even results) So I can definetly say to relax. Also try pumping at home one or two extra sessions to help you build supply. I never had ANY extra supply until she started eating solids. Try pumping 2 to 3 oz before feeding. Don't worry baby will be able to express more than pump so even if not getting anything from pump baby will still be able to express.

I read somewhere that you should continue to pump for 5 minutes after you think you are empty. I've done this to build up my milk supply and I pump around 35oz a day as my son will only take a bottle. It seems to make a difference for me.