Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to pumping and STRESSING!!

Default New to pumping and STRESSING!!

Hello ladies! I am so very fortunate to have found this board! I have a 7 week old whom I am having to leave with my mother in law for 10.5 hours a day and I just had some common concerns about how much milk I need to leave him, We generally nurse about 8-10 times a day as well as nurse at night because he sleeps with me and latches on through out the night. I am saving my money for a PIS advanced because I currently have the first years double electric pump and am having no success with it at all. I try to pump 4 times at work but generally can only get 2 oz total from both breast, does this seem normal or low? PLEASE help me girls, I really want to continue BF but I am getting discouraged because I cannot seem to get enough milk for the next day

Default Re: New to pumping and STRESSING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    Hello ladies! I am so very fortunate to have found this board! I have a 7 week old whom I am having to leave with my mother in law for 10.5 hours a day and I just had some common concerns about how much milk I need to leave him, We generally nurse about 8-10 times a day as well as nurse at night because he sleeps with me and latches on through out the night. I am saving my money for a PIS advanced because I currently have the first years double electric pump and am having no success with it at all. I try to pump 4 times at work but generally can only get 2 oz total from both breast, does this seem normal or low? PLEASE help me girls, I really want to continue BF but I am getting discouraged because I cannot seem to get enough milk for the next day
    A couple of questions -

How long do you pump at each session?
    Do you experience a letdown at all while pumping?

My advice is buy the good pump now--just think how much formula you will have to buy if you end up having to go that route. I have the Ameda Purely Yours and it is much cheaper than the Medela PIS, and from what I have read and heard, just as good.

2 ounces seems low to me! How much is your lo eating while you are away from him? That is a good indicator of how much you should come close to pumping. And pumping is a learned art--it takes time to get used to the pump. Relax...pumping is never very successful unless you can do that.

And the questions raised by the pp are good questions. Are you getting a letdown while pumping? How long are you pumping. I am more than willing to help you but I need a little more info! What kind of room do you have to pump in? Have you tried pictures of the lo or a shirt he wore the night before? anything to stimulate your mind to think of baby!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

wow look at the quick reply's!! YAY so relieving!

I am hoping to get the better pump this weekend.

As far as a let down goes, i do not feel it at all, ever. BF or pumping i never feel a let down sensation at all, never have.

I pump at my desk looking at pictures of my LO but this is my first week back to work so i still miss him terribly, and i am getting 2 oz total each time but it still seems like it should be so much more.

I have been nursing him really good right before i have to leave him and been leaving 10 oz of EBM a day while i am away and immediately nurse him when i get to him, does this sound sufficient?

Edited to add: I am pumping 15-20 minutes on each side every time

Ohhhh! Two ounces each time you pump! That is a lot better...at first I thought you meant 2 ounces total, which seemed very insufficient!

You say you are leaving him 10 ounces--does he seem satisfied? If so, then that seems adequate.

I would say if what you are leaving him satisfies him and you are able to keep up with that by pumping, then you are doing everything just right!!!! Keep up the hard work!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

well the problem is, its seemingly hard to get those 10 oz everyday, i am freaking out because i have no reserve

I am also pumping and work long hours 3 days a week and 1 short day. My daughter was about 3 months old when I started back. I was worried because she nursed about every 2 hours even at that age, so I pumped every two hours (my work environment is pretty good for that). At first, I got about 3 ozs. total each pumping, but it has increased to 5-6 ozs. per pumping, so I now pump every 3 hours; however, the amount can vary throughout the day. Remember that your baby is more efficient at getting the milk out than the pump. You can also try massaging your breasts while pumping- that has helped me a lot especially if I have a lump somewhere.

As far as a reserve, I still pump even when I am not at work- I pump in the morning and the evening. This gives me some milk just in case and I have been able to build up a supply in the freezer.

Also, an idea about a pump- do you have a hospital near you with a lactation department? I was able to do a pump trial before I bought mine to make sure it worked for me before I bought it. I use the Ameda Purely Yours and find it works very well for me and it was less expensive than the Medela.

Keep up the good work and it will get easier with practice!

I can definitely understand about being stressed that your supply of EBM is barely keeping up! But, you already seem to be doing a lot of things right! Pumping frequently is very important so try to keep up your 4 times per day. I definitely agree with the PPs who said get a new pump as soon as you can. My friend had the First Years electric and she had supply issues.
    I have used the Ameda Purely Yours electric also and liked it. As an alternative, the Avent Isis hand pump is also good to have and only costs about $50. I use my hand pump all the time instead of my electric. The Isis is very efficient. And it costs about the same as two cans of formula!
    I am not sure of your financial situation, but when my DS was a baby I received WIC assistance and was able to get a FREE electric pump. I think WIC benefits vary by state, though.
    I also agree with the PP that it is a good idea to work in at least one more pumping session in the morning or evening (although you work long days so this might not be easy!). Even if you don't get much out, it is still stimulating your body to make more milk.
    Congrats on your decision to continue BFing while going back to work! A lot of moms on here are working moms.
    HTH!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Well, first of all, you need to RELAX!!! You won’t get any milk if your stressing out and pumping at the same time! I agree with the pps. Both the medela PIS and ameda PY are great pumps…and the ameda PY is much cheaper.

If you feel like you need to increase your milk supply, you can try eating oatmeal…see the following link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/oatmeal.html

…or use herbs to boost your milk supply…
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

when you are pumping, don’t stress out about how much milk you’re getting in the bottle. Just relax, take a deep breath, and think of your precious little boy!

Good luck and HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Here's a link with more info about WIC's bfing support if you are interested:
    http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/Breastfe...ngmainpage.HTM

I received it a few years ago, so I don't know if the benefits are still the same.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on