Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Domperidone stopped working

Default Domperidone stopped working

Hi,

I am a first time mother and have been breastfeeding my child since birth. I did not have issues in the beginning, but then my milk supply decrease during the 5th month. I heard this is normal, but I could not get the supply back up again. I tried pumping more frequently, fenugreek, oatmeal, etc. to try to increase my supply, but nothing worked. I went to my LC and was prescribed Reglan as a last resort. It worked in the beginning, but the sided effects were horrible for me within the first week so I stopped. My sister-in-law told me about domperidone. I had no where else to turn to so I found some on the internet and tried it. It worked wonders within the first few weeks, but just recently it seems to have stopped working. My milk supply is decreasing again and I'm still taking the same amount of domperidone as I was in the beginning. Has anyone else experience domperidone stopped working for them? If so, how did you remedy it?

Default Re: Domperidone stopped working

Hi mama. It sounds like you and your little one have had quite the journey so far! What is making you feel like you are experiencing a low supply?
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

The amount of milk I was producing in a day has dropped in half to 10 oz. I know that still may seem like a lot to some, but my child eats about 15-20 oz. a day.

Thanks for the info mama, may I ask a little more? How old is your little one and how are you measuring your feeding? Maybe your weighing before and after feeds or exclusively pumping? What dose of dom are you on?

Sorry for all of the questions, just need a little more information on your situation in order to help. Hang in there, you are doing great! Every drop of BM your LO gets is wonderful, keep up the good work.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

My LO is 8 months old. I'm back at work, so I have to pump during the day and breast feed at night. He's fed from the bottle during the day, so it's been easy to keep track of how much he eats then. At night, I feed him once and I assume I only have a few ounces based on the amount I've pumped during the day and the amount of time that has passed since I've pumped. I know that's not accurate, but it's the best guess I've got right now. My LO has started solids, so I know that he's taking in less milk, but I was hoping to make it one year BF. I'm currently taking 20mg four times a day of dom. I've thought of switching to 30mg three times a day, but not sure how much 10mg is going to make a difference. Any suggestions?

Hi mama. First off, pumping sometimes doesn't even come close to being an indicator of what you are producing. Some mamas have incredible supply and can't pump even an ounce.

As far as the Dom, I think that you can go 4 pills 4x a day at the max. But to answer your ?, yes, in my experience even 10mg can make a big difference.

And don't forget, on Dom or not, stress can still inhibit your supply. So if you are feeling overly anxious about your milk, that could be one reason that there might be a little dip. Try to relax...I know it is hard sometimes!

Also if you are about to start your period that can make it dip, and of course make sure all of your pump parts are in good shape. A lot of time the valves and membranes can wear out and need replacing.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Oh, and how long are you gone during the day? The general rule of thumb is that baby will need 1 - 1.5oz per hour you are gone. So if you are gone about 8 hours a day, your LO would only need about 12oz.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for all the info nolies.mama. I will try to relax a bit more. Obviously easier said than done.

I'll try the additional 10mg and see if there's any difference. I had just gotten over my period, so I would have assumed my supply would be back up. Not sure how long it takes to get back up after a period. I'll go inspect my pump parts. Do you know on average how long pump parts last before needing replacement?

And thanks for the rule of thumb. I didn't know it should be 1-1.5 oz for every hour gone.

Thanks again. I appreciate all the info.

No worries mama!

I think "they" recommend you replace the valves and membranes about every 4-6 weeks, but I generally do it about every 8. They are relatively cheap and even the teeniest crack can make a difference.

Hopefully upping the Dom a bit, trying to relax , and knowing that you don't have to pump so much for your LO will all help. I think the stress of thinking that you aren't meeting demand is hard on production too.

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel